Skip navigation

Is there a way to calculate the area of a shape?

May 9, 2007 2:05 PM

Latest reply: Harryscopic, Feb 12, 2013 2:44 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 29, 2010 6:02 AM   in reply to Nicholas van der Walle
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

we have to say there were 3 methods in this original forum pot... because there are

Excuse me? You "have to"? Why do you "have to" mention a specific informal thread in an open user-to-user forum at all on your commercial site?

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

You will also perhaps see that I clearly state the the methods here are free and praise them.

And what makes you assume I desire any notoriety from mention on your commercial site? Just because you couch it as [gratuitous and patronizing] praise?

I agree completely with Jacob's assessment that "non mentioning" constitutes mentioning. As far as his suggested edits, though, I would go much further:

Several methods exist for determining the area of a vector path in Illlustrator: Third-party plug-ins designed specifically for the purpose exist. Illustrator's built-in scripting support provides access to the area property of pathItems. There's even a little-known "easter egg" built into the program itself which can be invoked by [the keyboard shortcuts]. Did you know that Phantasm CS Publisher can also be used to find the area of a selection? Here's how: [Description of YOUR method only].

But, of course, that straightforward and appropriate treatment is much shorter. It doesn't fill up your "blog" with others' content as if it's some kind of know-all-end-all resouce about finding the area of a path. It doesn't explicity compare your product's methods with an entirely non-commercial, off-the-cuff approach offered by an individual in an informal user-to-user forum, who may not want your self-serving "praise," no matter how "flattering" you try to make it.

I frequently get requests from individuals, commercial sites, and authors to link to or make mention of my scripts web content. I've always turned them down. My reasons are my own; they are valid, and I don't have to explain or justify them to anyone. The point is, it is customary to ask before you appropriate someone else's web content in a thinly-veiled attempt to add value to yours.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2010 11:58 PM   in reply to inquestflash

yet another "super secret" way

select an item in Illustrator, fire up the ESTK, link to Illustrator and drill down to show the selection.area property

or, just type selection[0].area in the console

ESTK.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2011 1:28 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Hi Jacob, everybody

..restarting messages on this thread.

We did since last August quite a few cardiac MRI patients using the telegraphics plug-in and it is working great. Nice resolution, quite affordable price in comparison with what medical companies offer.

Again what we do is to copy and paste images from the MRI machine (via a CD) in Illustrator, trace the surface areas of the heart slices recorded by the machine and then calculate various metrics used by cardiologists (most important is the "ejection fraction", which measure the pumping function of the two lower chambers: either the right or the left ventricle).

There are two tedious steps in this process. One is the copy and paste and the other is the contouring.

I was wandering wether I can have a way automatize the first function. Specifically it would be nice to have a tool to export a set of images (and one can input values in regards to what series of images one wants to export) from DICOM media (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) to Illustrator. Any ideas if there are any plug-ins available, or if one can be created.

This is slighly unrelated to this thread so probably I will start another one... called "Is there a way to: Export images from DICOM media into Illustrator?"

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3586323?tstart=0

Regards and thanks

Avi

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Just wanted to thank you for the script.  Saved the day and a lot of work for me !

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Jet - regarding the polarity - i downloaded the telegraph plugin - it works fine - but when the path contains a hole in it, the calculation takes into acount the whole plus the hole - do you think this the polarity issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Asaf.Meir.Barziv

Asaf,

I don't know anything about the Telegraphics plug-in.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Asaf.Meir.Barziv

Asaf,

Patharea adds the areas within the selected paths.

To get the area round the hole, you may Direct Select the outer path and apply the Patharea Filter (which will give you the total area within the outer path), do the same for the inner path (which will give you the total area within the inner path, in other words the hole), and subtract the latter from the former.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thanks, but I'm looking for an easy way to calculate the ink coverage (we are using ilustrator to design flexo printing, and the files are built with many different paths), so perhaps i will contact telegraphics or, instead, try to enhance the script that Jet introduced (to my opinion - the polarity property is the key).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:12 AM   in reply to Asaf.Meir.Barziv

In this case you could take a look at:

http://www.excourse.com/presspercent/index.html (Mac only AFAIK)

or Phantasm CS (it has an Ink Coverage Preview)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I'd just like to remind everyone that Photoshop has a built-in measuring tool  for area, perimeter, etc. and can save the results to a file which can be imported in Excel.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)