Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat X Wont Start

Jun 12, 2012 2:46 AM

I have Acrobat X as part of CS6. Seemed to work fine since installation. Two days ago, it stopped working, won't open. I tried the fixes listed in this forum. No luck.

Can Adobe help please.

Thanks,

Bill Byrnes

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

May I know what happens when you try to launch Acrobat?

It would be helpful if you describe on which OS you have acrobat too.

If you get any error message the exact erro rmessage would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

You need to be more specific about your issue. Please tell us exactly what happens when you try to install Acrobat X.

Do you get any error message or warning?

Are you trying to install Acrobat X from CCM, disc or download link?

An error screenshot would help.

Also, please share the install.log at http://pastebin.com/

Install log location : /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/[Adobe Application name<date>].log.gz

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

If your case is anything like mine, it happened when you hit 30 days.

30 days (probably to the second) when Acrobat X spontaneously quit and stopped launching for me. (Ironically, I had an independent license for Acrobat Pro X that never gave me any problems. When I bought the CS6 Master Collection, I removed the 'independent' license for Acrobat X and installed it as part of the Suite.) What a headache!! Adobe, come on! After all I spent on this Suite... and being an 'early adopter' against my better judgement! At least let us know what the hell is going on! I'd like to at least know that you're working on a fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Good morning all,

Me too, I was having exactly the same problem with Acrobat X (10.1.3). Acrobat was installed as part of the CS6 Master Collection.

I tried to open a PDF from within an Outlook 2010 email, the PDF opened, and dissapeared again. After that I could not use Acrobat any more. This 30 day issue could very well have been the case with me too.

Please help Adobe, I like to continue to use your greatly appreciated software!

Gustave

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Gustave_vdk

Count me in. I had an Acrobat 9 license, upgraded from web premium cs5  to thedesign and web premium CS6 which includes acrobat. It is no longer in the list of programs in the start menu. It is in the uninstall program list, repairing via that list did nothing. The program and associated files are on the drive in  Program Files (x86), but absolutely nothing happens when I try to open the program either from a shortcut or by double clicking on the exe file. It still shows up as the default program for pdf files, but just will not load. Very frustrating and is now costing me work as I cannot open a pdf magazine which I must create web pages of.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Windows7 Ultimate X64

The Acrobat X Pro is part of the Design & Web Premium CS6 package.  I was creating a pdf from a Word document (MS Word 2010) and after closing the Word program the Adobe Acrobat closed itself.  Ever since that it's been unavailable.  Doubleclicking on the desktop icon, in the Star menu, or doubleclicking the Acrobat.exe in the Program Files folder end up the same result: absolutely nothing happens.  Acrobat X Pro does not start up any more.

I checked the intallation date; yes, Acrobat became useless right after 30 days.  Excellent.

Any solutions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to 818g

I was able to get mine working again . . . I had to deactivate the whole cs6 package using Photoshop - Help - Deactivate - then I re-activated, again using Photoshop, and entering my serial number again, and now acrobat works. Not sure if I will need to do this every thirty days or not . . . . . I sure hope not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Jimbo7777

Mine isnt working either. REDICULOUS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Hi Bill - I think what Arpit needs to understand is that there aren't any symptoms. In my instance, nothing happens at all - no error messages - it simply does nothing. I found another board with the same problem and it's odd about the dates being in the last few days or so...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4494093

Uh... just took the time to check my install date... EXACTLY 30 days ago. WOW Adobe, pretty lame that you have such poor QA. This needs to be correct yesterday.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to Jimbo7777

Same for me. Adobe Acrobat X Pro stopped working from one minute to the next, without anything fancy happening on the computer. Also almost 30 days after I first activated the CS6 license.

Indeed, deactivating and reactivating the full CS6 package did the trick. I used Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64-bit) as the starting point: Help > Deactivate, then after restarting the application, I entered the license again. Now Adobe Acrobat X Pro is working again. Thank you for the tip, jimbo7777.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to Jimbo7777

Yes, the deactivation/reactivation does the trick, Acrobat is running again.  Thanks, man.   Much faster and less painful than uninstalling/reinstalling the whole suite.

It looks like there's a bug in or related to the timebomb function (at least on the x64 systems).  I just only hope that Adobe fixes this and we don't have to repeat this process every 30 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to Jimbo7777

You got me started again too Jimbo! Thanks for the tip.

I communicated this to Adobe techsupport in the case I had already opended regarding this problem.

Regards all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Gustave_vdk

Deactivate, quit, relaunch, reactivate (after signing in with Adobe ID) fixed the issue. Took me less than three minutes.

Way to go "818g" for the tip. Suck it to the Adobe ahole engineers that caused it in the first place and double-suck it for the days of bad advice given by adobe personnel on reinstalling.

Power to the people!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Same thing here. Has anyone reported this problem?

P

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

I am having the same problems. I purchased the online CS6 Suite and my Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not open. What is the fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Jimbo7777

The Photoshop deactivate/reactivate under the HELP pull down in Photoshop thing works... again hopefully it won't have to be fixxed every 30 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to swakelam

Here’s another one. It happened to me just this afternoon. I opened a PDF and Acrobat X Pro closed itself within a few seconds. After that, Acrobat would never launch again.

For me, it’s on a Window’s 64-bit machine. I could see Acrobat.exe attempt to load in task manager but then it would close. I never got an Acrobat screen, nor an error message. I tried restarting and repairing Acrobat without success.

That’s when I found this thread through a web search. As suggested, I decertified Photoshop CS6 and immediately Acrobat X Pro was launching again. I’ve since recertified Photoshop and all remains working at this time.

Thanks all!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to FlashEVV

But this fix is just temporary. The problem occurred again a few days later...

I hope Adobe will fix this once and for all soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

And for me, a Windows XP Service Pack 3 32 bit machine.

Thanks to jimbo7777 for being the first to figure out Deactivate/Activate worked around the problem.

A whole bunch of words that violate the Adobe terms of service of this discussion forum

have been deleted here - but I meant every one of them.

What a frustrating bug - the damned thing just silently exits, leaving the user to wonder

if they even managed a double click, never mind paid Adobe $600 for an update to get

the disease in the first place.

Thanks again to all who helped,

cheers,

dmc

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

I have the same problem. Since a few days ago my Acrobat or Distiller refuses to start. System: Vista, CS6. After reading a few threads it seems to be connected to 30 days after installing. It would be nice with a permanent fix since pdf-ing is a big part of work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

I am having the same problem. Adobe? Are you there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to ugeek1

Solution for Acrobat X in CS6 failure:

Open Photoshop and in the help menu deactivate your license. Close Photoshop. Open Photoshop and Reactivate your license. Acrobat will now open and work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Jimbo7777

I think Adobe has changed their license engine mechinism or whatever... to support their cloud thing. I have an ordinary permanant serial number and it seems to me that what has happened is I am now running on a 30 day trial.

i.e I no longer see an ability to deactivate my license and use it on asnother PC. Sigh. Moderators... can you get adobes attention... is their an official post on the subject? Sure as hell I'll forget and be in the middle of something critical 30 days from now,,,, I will not be pleased. No sir, not one bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Arpit Kapoor

Arpit please see my post below. Same problem. Adobe CS 6 Master collection with a perminnent (not sub.) license on Windows 7 x64 all service packs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Same problem on CS6 Standard, Win7 64bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Lexislav

I have exactly the same problem ... All components of CS6 were working perfectly until yesterday, when Acrobat and Distiller suddenly stopped working. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Cretive Suite and get a message at the end of the installation that all components EXCEPT for Acrobat are installed and ready to use! Hugely frustrating!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to John Bertram

See previous posts about deactivating and activating the suite. That works, as a temporary solution. I gather Adobe will come up with a permanent solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Gustave_vdk

Deactivating sounds good. But... Mine is grayed out. Can't deactivate. This is ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Jimbo7777

Jimbo7777, you're a hero.

Adobe people: you gotta fix this right away. You make products for designers: people with deadlines. This %$^ can put freelancers right out of business. "Yeah, I know you want this PDF but my Acrobat won't start due to some stupid license thingy." Which makes you look like a clown instead of a design professional.

Glad that my most important deadline of this year was last week, and not this week.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Jimbo7777

Thank You jimbo7777, since this is a recent issue has anyone tried a registry adjustment on HKLM\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\10.0\Activation ? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to CO2009

Come on Adobe?! Get your stuff together!

This is all for not anyhow. It's not like people aren't creating fake copies out there and distributing them.

Adobe, you are only PUNISHING YOUR MARKET BASE with BS like this.

@CO2009 Disabling the activation key does not fix the issue.

I just started having the issue today (couple hours ago).

Exactly one month after I activated. The LEAST they could do is to pull my license key from my profile since I have to sign-in for that too.

What a pain... just one more thing to remember. It's bad enough they quietly uninstalled Acrobat 9 to install the initially crippled version of X. I just needed to open a damn encrypted PDF... what a waste.

Wasted a good couple of hours on this because I was installing other apps and creating firewall rules... thought I had blocked something... nope, just bad programming on Adobe's part. Somehow I'm not surprised.

Vista 64 Business • AMD Opteron 4184 x 2 • 64gb RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Same Problem With Me

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

Yep, same thing, upgraded from CS5.5 to CS6 a month ago, 2 days ago acrobat x stopped working, woudln't even load after a brief screen that said I would need reactivate

acrobat x now working sweet as (?for how long) after I followed jimbo's fix

but when I opened photoshop 64bit again it is only giving me a trial

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to KahurangiPress

Adobe is investigating the issue ,

Please check this link :- http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/trial--1-launch.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Excellent. I hope the solution won't involve uninstalling my cs5 versions of apps though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

@ Manish-Sharma - That kb article is particularly lame since the aspects of "trial" are not visible... at least to this user - NOTHING is visible!

Acrobat doesn't launch.

On May 19th I downloaded and installed the update from CS 5.5 Design Premium to CS 6 Premium on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine.

On June 19th Acrobat X Pro died and with its passing we learn ...

We learn that even with CS 4 AND CS 5.5 (full extended Design suites still resident on my system) Acrobat in its earlier incarnations is AWOL.

Overtly doing a separate download and install (10.1.3) had no effect.

Doing the cache.db rename game (see @ 36. by Evadobe1 in thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/4504991#4504991)  that reportedly was dreamed up by Adobe as a work around only worked temporarily for a limited number of launch / exit cycles ... maybe about 6 or so cycles.

The only symptom which has presented has been the abrupt termination of the application functioning coincident with the expiration a 30-day period from installation of the CS6 upgrade.

So Manish-Sharma, I will happily try what Jimbo has outlined (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492856#4492856) while we all wait for Adobe to 1) fix the problem and 2) deal with what will likely become a tsunami of complaints.

@ Jim - thank you

Kind regards,

Kelly

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (5)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers