Skip navigation
Jtje Btje
Currently Being Moderated

Why don't I have the 'new from templates' option in Indesgin CS6?

Jun 14, 2012 2:11 AM

Tags: #cs6 #menu_templates

Why don't I have the 'new from templates' option in Indesgin CS6? I only have three options under 'new', document, book or library. No template option as attached ...templates_001.gif

Please help.

Many thanks,

Jeannette

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to Jtje Btje

Adobe stopped updating the templates at CS3, and stopped shipping them at CS5, I think.

There's nothing magical about a template, though. All that command did was to open a File > Open... dialog and navigate to the directory where the pre-packaged templates were stored. You can still use those old ones, or any other template you have on your system by locating and opening the template file. The only difference between a template file and a document file is the file extension, which triggers templates to be opened as an untitled copy by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Jtje Btje

InDesignSecrets.com got permission from Adobe to distribute their templates (as Peter mentioned, created in an earlier version of InDesign). You can find them here:

Adobe's Free InDesign Templates Now Available at InDesignSecrets

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

This is still pretty annoying. Some of us actually make, and use our own templates. For example, I do tons of product mockups in my day to day and I have a series of basic templates laid out that I use for including the mock up image and the various specifications for each product. It's been super easy, in CS4, to choose file / new from template and just pop my template open. It was even nifty enough that Bridge would redirect to my templates folder for me.

Sure, I know I can still save my templates to another folder and use them as I always have, but the question is why would they just remove this? For all of the bloat that Adobe constantly adds on to this suite of applications, year after year, why on earth would they just remove a simple, useful, entirely unobtrusive feature such as file / new from template?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points