Skip navigation
mrehmus2
Currently Being Moderated

How do I import printer correction curves into ID CS6.

Jun 12, 2012 10:23 PM

Tags: #printing #correction

The Help instructions do not work. The files are in the location specified but InDesign CS6 does not show them in the printer setup window. They work fine in InDesign CS3 in the same location.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

Why don't you give us some more details so we can try to help you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

I'm having trouble with "printer correction curves" as a term for something ID will look at. I think of those as being applied by a RIP to compensate for dot gain.

So what, exactly, are you trying to do, where are you looking for files, and what do you have in CS3?

Things like print presets are not only version-specific (thought they are easily transfered), but also user-specific and are stored as part of the user preferences. Because each version of InDesign is essentially a brand new installation that does not interfere with previous versions, there is never any automatic transfer of any settings that are customized by the user.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

If you can point me to a specific location in the help files it  might help, too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 14, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

The InDesign Print dialog has never had printer correction curves. If you click Printer... in the ID Print dialog you get printer spcific features, which are not part of the InDesign application:

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 8.35.49 AM.png

The Printer Features are coming from my printer's software not ID:

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 8.36.18 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

OK, so by "color correction curves" you mean ICC profiles. What's your OS?

In the meantime, if you go back to the Print Presets > Define... dialog in CS3 you can select your presets, then click the Save button and you'll be prompted to choose a location where you'd like to save them. Once you do that, open the same Print Presets > Define... dialog in CS6 and click the Load button. Navigat to where you saved your set, select it, and say OK.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 14, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

In OSX there are a myriad of places where profiles can reside. To make them globally available to all applications I can supposedly put them in OS/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. But, ID can be fussy and want them in the application specific profile folder which on OSX is /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended. Maybe Peter can give the equivalent folder for XPpro

Although it is possible to build curve based profiles (Photoshop lets you do it via the legacy Separation Setup), the current generation of icc profiles are generated by reading large sets color patches from printer proofs with a colorimeter—there are no curves. That's what threw us off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

profiles should be in C:\windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. You can add them as well to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles to be sure they show in the adobe app lists, and into C:\Program Files \Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended to get them inthe grouping at the top of those lists.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

Did you ever try just saving and loading the old ones?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to mrehmus2

Back in post 7 I told you how to save your presets from CS3 and load them into CS6 without having to rebuild them all.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jun 15, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think the problem is CS6 doesn't know where the profile that's included in the CS3 preset is. If the profile isn't available the saved preset will default to the document profile.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points