Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy artboard (and art) to another document

Jan 25, 2012 1:56 PM

Tags: #javascript

Is there a way to write a script to copy a selected/chosen artboard (and it's contents) to another opened document, placing it in exactly the same place on the global x/y coordinates?  I'm either unable to find this feature built in to Illustrator, or it's simply missing.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to timlogochair

there's no one command to do that. You'll have to get the size/placement of the artboard and recreate in the destination document. Then is a matter of looping thru all pageItems and duplicate them to the new artboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to timlogochair

if you need to replicate all the artboards, you could loop thru all of them. If you need only certain artboards you could either ask (which ones, that would be the easy way) thru scripting or select some pieces live in each of the artboards and add logic to find out the artboards indexes.

what version are you using? in CS5 there's a function to select all objects in a given artboard

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to timlogochair

it does make sense, are you writing the script?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to timlogochair

I'll give it a try....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to timlogochair

Hi Tim, I haven't had a chance to work on you project...one question...what is the more complex layer structure you would potentially have. I mean how deep would your layers within layers within layers go?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to timlogochair

no sub-layers?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to timlogochair

Tim, You will NOT be able to do any of this with actions ( well so I think )… Further more I think script could do this ( but there would be serveral limitations )…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to timlogochair

Something that springs to mind straight away… This could become a RPITA both your artboards and there relative artwork must be separate… AI lets you do artboards in formatted rows etc. or completly random and art can exist across multi-artboards… I would hop you are dealing with the first of these?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Muppet Mark

that was my main concern, it could get real messy, but if all docs are based on the same template that part would be covered. The other issue would be nested layers, now it seems there's only main layers, it's getting less complicated...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

There are very limited opions when working with artboards… Using the select method and using app.copy() app.paste() may be one route… I don't know if 'paste remember layers' is a writable boolean in the pref's or you could just ask the user opts for this before running…? Not tried it myself so it would need testing… I try NOT to use the clipboard where ever possible… Anyhows I don't think it's a 15 minute re-hash of some code I already have…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Muppet Mark

yeah, copy/paste is a headache, I was thinking selecting all on a given artboard, then duplicate each item in selection to the destination document. That's the process I did with the "open multipage pfd" script, but you're right, it is not a 15 minute thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Carlos, I had on my to do list a PDF page importer ( been there a little while )… Not had the oportunity to look at your script yet ( but I will )… I have several issues with AI and it's artboards Im glad I missed CS4 where they were just plain $h1t at least they put some sugar on it in CS5 but they still smell and taste like…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to timlogochair

it wouldn't hurt to have one, post it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to timlogochair

it was in fact more dificult than I had anticipated...in part because of the limitations of the Illustrator scripting capabilities, in part your document set up...but it is "almost" done.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Hi Tim, here you go, open both your template and your destination document and run the script

#target illustrator

// script.name = timLCdupArtboards.jsx; 
    // script.description = duplicates provided artboards to another open document;
    // script.required = requires CS5, and both source and destination documenets (with the same layer structure) open
    // script.parent = CarlosCanto // 02/07/12;  
    // script.elegant = false;

// Notes: use only in documents with NO sublayers, 

var docList = doclist(); // get a list of open docs

var source = prompt ("Enter Source Document (Index Number)\r\r" + docList, 0, "Copy Artboards"); // get source doc name index
    if (source!=null) {// quit if pressed Cancel
        var dest = prompt ("Enter Destination Document (Index Number)\r\r" + docList, 1, "Copy Artboards"); // get destination doc name index
        if (dest!=null) {// quit if pressed Cancel
            var absstring = prompt ("Enter Indexes of Artboards to copy (comma separated)", "25,37,16,19,34,35,36", "Copy Artboards"); // get list of artboards to copy
            if (absstring!=null) {// quit if pressed Cancel

var artbs = absstring.split (","); // turn list into an array
                var absCount = artbs.length; // get artboards count

var sourceDoc = app.documents[source]; // get actual docs
                var destDoc = app.documents[dest];

// get layer visible/lock info & unlock and make visible all layers
                var sourceDocLayerState = unlockUnhideLayers(sourceDoc);
                var destDocLayerState = unlockUnhideLayers(destDoc);

sourceDoc.activate(); // activate source otherwise it is not able to access selection

var ABs = []; // array to hold of artboard objects to copy
                var ABsRect = []; // array to hold artboards Rectangles
                var ABsNames = []; // array to hold artboard names
                var ABsInfo = []; // array to hold [Rect, Names]
                for (i=0; i<absCount; i++) {
                    ABs[i] = sourceDoc.artboards[artbs[i]-1]; // get actual artboard
                    ABsRect[i] = ABs[i].artboardRect; // get Rectangle
                    ABsNames[i] = ABs[i].name; // get Name
                    ABsInfo[i] = [ABsRect[i], ABsNames[i]]; // get Rectangle and Name

sourceDoc.selection = null; // deselect everything
                    sourceDoc.artboards.setActiveArtboardIndex (artbs[i]-1); // activate each artboard
                    sourceDoc.selectObjectsOnActiveArtboard(); // select all in artboard
                    sel = sourceDoc.selection; // get selection
                    moveObjects(sel, destDoc); // move selection
                }

addArtboards(destDoc, ABsInfo); // recreate artboards in destination document

// restore layer original state
                lockHideLayers(sourceDoc, sourceDocLayerState);
                lockHideLayers(destDoc, destDocLayerState);
            }
        }
    }

function unlockUnhideLayers(doc) {
              // get visible state of each layer, and show/unlock layers
              var layerState = []; // array to hold layer visibility
              var layerCount = doc.layers.length; // layer count

// get layer visibility, and turn all layers on
              for (i=0; i<layerCount; i++) {
                        var ilayer = doc.layers[i];
                        layerState[i] = [ilayer.visible, ilayer.locked];
                        ilayer.visible = true;
            ilayer.locked = false;
              }
        return layerState;
    }

function lockHideLayers(doc, layerstate) {
              // restore layer visibility
        var layerCount = doc.layers.length; // layer count
              for (k=0; k<layerCount; k++) {
                        var ilayer = doc.layers[k];
            ilayer.visible = layerstate[k][0]; // already a Boolean value, no need to convert
            ilayer.locked = layerstate[k][1]; // already a Boolean value, no need to convert
              }
    }

// create artboards in destination doc, using the info in absInfo (abRect, Name)
    function addArtboards(doc, absInfo) {
        var destDoc = doc;
        var absCount = absInfo.length;
        destDoc.activate();
        for (j=0; j<absCount; j++) {
            var newAB = destDoc.artboards.add(ABsInfo[j][0]);
            newAB.name = ABsInfo[j][1];

}
    }

// move selected objects (sel) to destination document
    function moveObjects(sel, destDoc) {
        for (k=0; k<sel.length; k++) { 
            // duplicate items to the same layer in dest document, give both documents have the same layer structure
            var newItem = sel[k].duplicate(destDoc.layers[sel[k].layer.name],ElementPlacement.PLACEATEND);
        }
    }

// get a list of open documents, separated by tabs
    function doclist() {
        var docs = app.documents;
            msg = "";
        for (i=0; i<docs.length; i++) {
            msg += i + ". " + docs[i].name + "\t"; // had to use tab (insted of \r) to have the list "inline". Prompt only allows 4 rows in windows
        }
        return msg;
    }

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to timlogochair

Hi Tim,

1. I was afraid you were going to ask for that

2. I'm not sure, it might be possible

3. thanks

4. add the following line after line 54, destDoc.activeLayer = destDoc.layers[0]; // activate "Art" layer

so it looks like this

line 54            lockHideLayers(destDoc, destDocLayerState);

line 55            destDoc.activeLayer = destDoc.layers[0]; // activate "Art" layer

visually it will look like nothing happened, some other layer "looks" active, but the Art layer is the active one, the screen will update after you switch to another document and come back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to timlogochair

This is very useful. Thank you for sharring this!

I am attempting to use the script however it only partially executes before returning an error.

"Error 1302: No such element"

In order to use this script must I name my layers or artboards in a specific manor?

error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to harry_earthling

yes, that script was basically custom made for that specific file structure, do you need something similar?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Could you share with me what file structure / organization I should use with it?

Again, many thanks. This is a very useful!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to harry_earthling

your destination Document must have the same Layer Names you have in your Source Document, that's all is required...and both docs to be open.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 1:19 PM   in reply to timlogochair

I ran into this problem today, which I think is bad design by Adobe... keeping in mind Illustrator is an awesome program, but just not perfect.

Here is how I got around it, which may be a good solution for you (running scripts are a real pain, IMO): I was using 10 story boards and needed 1 more, but Illustrator would give me this message saying it wasn't possible to do it outside boundaires. I deleted some storyboards, to no avail. So then I did this:

Deleted all of them, except one, which wasn't possible to delete. Then I reduced the size of that one to a miniscule storyboard. Then I added 20 storyboards, which is more than what I'll need. Seems like you can go infinite on storyboards.

Deleting storyboards may seem like a bad way to go about it, but it isn't if you will write down the 4 coordinates for each storyboard: width, height, and x and y coordinates. Then just go back to the new [miniscule] storyboards you created and change them to the numbers they used to be. Hope this helps.

www.imaginativedesign.co

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 11:53 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Hi Carlos and community memembers! 

I was trying to merge a UI design file with a bunch of little differently sized sets of artboards (for icons and such), and was looking for a way to easily merge my file with a team member's.  I was happy to find this script, but it didn't work for me (maybe because I'm on CS6?)

I get this error:

Error 1200: an illustrator error occurred: 1346458189 ('MRAP')

Line: 47

->  AbsRect[i] = ABs[i].artboardRect; // get Rectangle

Despite it not working, I think what Carlos has done is tremendous and I would personally be willing to pay for such a script if Adobe doesn't implement this very function. 

Also, for anyone looking for a semi-manual, but still time saving method to do this, you can refer to this discussion I just had with Monika on the forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6281966

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 1:44 PM   in reply to nickolaspeter

Hi nickolas, the script works fine in CS6, the error you're getting is caused by the entering the wrong artboard index to copy.

in the third window, enter the artboard index to copy, if you have 2 artboards and key in index 3, you'll get the error in line 47.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 1:57 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Hm, maybe I'm doing something else wrong.  I get an error if I just enter 1 (I had started with, 1,2,3, etc). 

I just ran it again and got:

Error 1302: No such element

Line: 118

-> var newItem =

self[k].duplicate(destDoc.layers[sel[k].layer.name],ElementPlacement.P L

ACEATEND);

I'm very grateful for your help!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...