Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Photo/Video Editing System - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka...the "BBBB")

Jun 14, 2012 3:51 PM

Tags: #hardware #graphics_card

Greetings everyone!  I started building a new system for photo/video editing about a week ago.  Many of you will probably scoff a little bit at some of the decisions I'm making with this build.  Although I only joined the forums recently, I've lurked anonymously for years.  From my vantage point, there are a handful of people that generate a lot of group think consensus.  I'm going to challenge some of that conventional forum wisdom with some of the decisions I'm making with the build.  I may prove myself right....I may prove myself wrong.  But it will be a fun process anyway.  Some things to peak your interest might be:

• Large array of SSD's
  • Water cooling with 7 radiators
  • Dual PSU's
  • 4 graphics cards

I know that right away, some people are going to jump all over some of these decisions and call them silly or dumb.  And clearly this is not intended to be a best  "BFTB" system.  My goals are to make this system incredibly powerful, but to make it nearly silent.  Those goals drive a lot of the decisions I'll make.  My full build log is over at Overclock.net and you can get there with this link.  Subscribe to it and you will get notified of updates. 

But I'll post some smaller tidbits and pictures here.  More limited in file size for pictures here, so if any of these posts intrigue you, hop over to my build log to get more pictures and more discussion. 

Once its done, I'll gladly be a guinea pig for posting benchmarks and/or other tests, so that this community can glean something from my trials. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to cpachris_1969

so what is your OCed goal? 6GHz? pretty sure water cooling aint cutting it

got to tell you  we build silent systems and are OCed to 4.7GHz

WITHOUT water cooling and 50 fans. we could probably hit 5GHz (and have with air cooling) but not entirely comfortable selling them and the fans noise does increase past the 4.5-4.7GHz

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to cpachris_1969

You'll be pushing a lot of water around. How many water pumps do you think it will need?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to cpachris_1969

I don't know what to say...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to cpachris_1969

I've been holding off buying till the PCI-e 3.0 was available.... Guess I won't have to wait too long now...

Btw... Loving the build. I guess I'm one of the silent onlookers...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)