Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pages appear pixelated

Jun 14, 2012 11:04 PM

Tags: #app #error #content #pixelated #ipad #indesign #apple #pixel #magazine #6.0 #blur #blurred

I have a magazine of about 10-15 pages. It's uploaded as PDF rather than jpg or png.

When flicking through the pages they often take a split second to display the page correctly which is fine, but sometimes the pages remain pixelated and won't display correctly at all. You then have to change pages or restart the viewer (iPad).

Is there any reason or any suggestions as how I can get around this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to AH! Studio

Only thing I can suggest - your images are too big - preview problems from indesign are passed through to the iPad - this was supposed to be fixed in CS6 but alas it still happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to AH! Studio

No Problem!

If you could narrow down which file types are giving you the dramatic problems and look at their size?

I would have reccomended using PDF / PSD images as I don't care what anyone says - there is an incredible difference between those two file types and JPG/TIFF format on the iPad 3 for sure!

But with great clarity there comes a lot of fussing around the file size...

it also depends what type of states your images are within - e.g. if your page is just a static image then the builder panel takes a kind of screen shot, so you can get away with scaling your images down within photoshop or whatever.

but if you're having the images in any kind of overlay - the image is held, not captured which makes it very data heavy...

hopefully that all makes sense, i'm not the best at articulating my point!!

My advice is, go through (I know it's a pain) and just check which images are causing the problem and work down from there, scale some - change the formats of others - experiment; because these tools are the most inconsistant things I have ever worked with, and who knows! you'll probably get the most surprising results!!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to AH! Studio

Ahaha, I know your pain!

Good Luck tho, let me know how you get on!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to AH! Studio

I suggest taking a look at Colin's document on best practices for targeting the iPad 3: http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/d igitalpublishingsuite/pdfs/dps-ipad3-bestpractice-apr2012.pdf. He talks about which overlays will automatically resample images to the right size, and which will pass the image through directly untouched.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points