Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

O.T. Internal Mail Server

Jun 15, 2012 4:12 AM

Do internal mail servers  have a habit of being a problem distributing mail from an online form?

My client says they are recieveing no enquiries submitted via the online form on their website. I have conclusively proved its not a form issue by successfully sending to 6 other email addresses from the form.

What is it with internal email servers? This is the second client that has had the same issue yet the people who set up the mail server say on both occasions it's nothing to do with them. Eventually the first company conceded it was their fault and reconfigured the mail server.

Any one else had such experiences and anyone knowledgable enough to know why this happens?

The strange thing is if you send email via an email client to the same email address it gets through.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to osgood_

Could be a few things.  Sometimes its the fault of the firewall/spam filter thinking that the mail is not genuine thus it's blocking it from being received.  This is something that you may not have access to and the client would have to check/configure.  This could partly be due to how mail is configured in PHP.ini for that particular client.  Are you using PHP mail, SMTP, etc?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to osgood_

I'm just using a standard php form to process the enquiry which works with alternative email addresses so conclude its something to do with the mailing process rather than an error of my making.

Yeat that's the thing.  If you are just using a generic mail server on a third party host and not configuring the INI and Exchange (assuming Exchange), their server could potentially see the mail as spam.  The spam filters don't just look at the domain, but it also loooks at the IP.  If they are using an Exchange server and you input the SMTP information into the PHP.ini file on the server and edit the server so that the mail can be authenticated by the mail server and recognize the external domain for SMTP.  There is a technet article about setting up this from the Exchange side ( http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/11/17/3397307.aspx ).

If they are not using Exchange, then I would guess that it is spam filters set up too strict.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points