Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS6 to HTML5 or Edge for animations

Jun 15, 2012 4:54 AM

Hello

I am downloading the new Flash Professional to export my animations to html5 for my iPad publication using DPS.

I have a little knowledge of flash so would prefer to build my animation there and then export to html5 BUT is this any good or is it just for basic animation?

Do you think I should spend my time training myself in Adobe Edge?

Many thanks

Gemma

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to BHPforum

Depends on what you want to do. Edge is pretty simple to use and I’d start there before trying to tackle a monster like Flash.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to BHPforum

@Gemma – do you rely on ActionScript when using Flash CS6? I wonder, if it would be possible to transform ActionScript to HTML by exporting to HTML 5 with Flash CS6.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 15, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Laubender

The CreateJS plugin in Flash Pro CS6 let's you export to HTML5:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-technology-sneaks-2012/export-to-html5 -from-flash-professional/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thank you, Bob Bringhurst. Sounds very promissing…

Though no ActionScript mentioned by the presenter, it is explicitly mentioned in the "About this episode" description. I'll give that a try to revive some of my Flash skills. Will try a bit ActionScript3 as well.

Thank's again!

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Laubender

In previous topics where this has come up, people have found Adobe Edge a quicker path to HTML5 for DPS than working in Flash. Especially for folks that once a while back used Flash, but haven't recently.

I suggest downloading it and giving it a try: http://www.adobe.com/products/edge.html?promoid=JAYKR

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

@Neil – that is true, if you like to work with ordinary stage elements. The case of using ActionScript3 is a different one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Edge seems to have no scripting engine available. I'll try out the Flash CS6 route and will report my findings…

@Gemma – What do you say?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 15, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Laubender

Keep in mind that HTML5 content you export from Flash Pro doesn't always work in mobile Safari and/or DPS. You'll definitely want to test it in DPS. Let us know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Laubender

JavaScript is the scripting engine in Edge, since Edge produces HTML5+Javascript. As of preview 6 there is a code panel available to edit JavaScript directly.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Edge looks an amazing program, if a bit daunting with what it can do, you can certainly script with it using javascript and css styles are very cool. But it's not for the faint hearted, so most indesign designers wont like it at all, other wise they would probably be web designers!

I would not advise using flash to create your html though, not unless it is incredibly basic, you will be creating clunkyness within clunkyness! No disrespect to DPS but its not ObjectiveC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

@Bob Bringhurst – Thank you for clarification. I will have a look at both applications with their present feature set.

About FLASH:
    My expectations with Flash CS6 exporting to HTML is not very high regarding ActionScript3. But I will give it a try over the summer.

But possibly there are other benefits without using much of ActionScript3: animated typography with fonts you need not thinking about licencing for the web, because you will either package them in a way nobody could extract them (unlikely with HTML export, but possible with SWF) or transform them to graphic lines (outlines) before export.

About EDGE: is it guaranteed that every output I'll create with EDGE is running in mobile Safari?

Is it possible to import InDesign contents to EDGE? If not, is it on the roadmap? (I'll better ask that on the EDGE forums)

Sidenote:

That is one of the great benefits of Flash: you could use InDesign contents exporting to XFL (InDesign CS4/Flash CS4) or even to FLA (InDesign CS5.5/Flash CS5.5, InDesign CS6/Flash CS6.

@Mobly – I'm well aware that you could do amazing things with ObjectiveC, but I fear programming in ObjectiveC is above my head. The learning curve is very steep and it would be easier for me to refresh my ActionScript3 skills (if my tests are running well) than diving deep into ObjectiveC.

About clunkyness: let's see how my tests will work out…

And don't forget: time will work on our side if you think of how the development will go with faster hardware and better OS design on the tablet side!
    I'm optimistic to see faster machines and better rendering engines for vector graphics very soon. Especially PDF based folios would benefit on that.

@Neil – JavaScript is indeed the scripting engine in Edge. I'll check, if there is a way for scripting the application itself.

But let's go to work. I will find a week or so over the summer to test that out.
    In this regard you'll hear from me.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 18, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to BHPforum

No, it's not guaranteed that Edge content will work properly in DPS. You'll definitely want to test it in a folio. However, Edge content seems to work much better in DPS than Flash/CreateJS does. I would use Flash/CreateJS only if I have existing Flash content that I want to export, or if I have a native InDesign animation to repurpose. For new animations, Edge is an excellent way to go. If you haven't used Edge before, it includes some built-in getting started tutorials.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points