Skip navigation
kellys2012
Currently Being Moderated

DPS Analytics Query - Any Advice?

Jun 12, 2012 3:27 AM

Tags: #reporting #analytics #analysis #appfigures

Can anyone offer insight into why the Folio download data within DPS Analytics differs so greatly to the App Download data within AppFigures? I understand the differences in data collection between the two and I get that the metrics are unlikely to ever match 100% but what I don't understand is why AppFigures tells me I have 1042 App downloads and DPS Analytics tells me I only have 347 folio downloads? Surely such a discrepancy has a valid explanation other than excluding download to desktop from iTunes and failure to successfully launch? Any advice or recommendation would be hugely appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to kellys2012

Our opinion is, that customer will just download app and will never download content. Don't have any better so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:26 AM   in reply to Martin Lér

that is the most biggest problem with multi folio apps. there should be

initial content included to provide a sense of the content without the need

to download a 1-gig-folio and wait for half an hour before seeing any

content.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to kellys2012

I'm definitely not an expert in this area, but keep in mind:

1) Users may start your app downloading then move on to other things and forget about it. I know I've done this with apps numerous times.

2) They may see they have to download the free folio, start the download, navigate away from the app, and then forget about it. I believe this is what Johannes means when he says it's the "biggest problem" with multi-folio apps.

3) We'll only report a folio download once the full folio has been downloaded. It's possible that your users are starting the folio download, viewing the folio as soon as enough has come down to open it (but not the full folio), then leaving the app. If they don't continue the download that partial download won't be reflected in your totals.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

I'm curious then. So this is a Multi-issue App, with one folio (magazine included) Does the initial App not count as a download in the DPS analytics? If not then I agree with Neil, I think lots of people download the App "shell" then - which downloads really quickly, then they see they have another big chunky thing to download, so do'nt bother even if it's free! I have!!

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to mobly

The DPS analytics don't count download of the app as a download. We have no way of knowing when the app is downloaded, that's something Apple tracks.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

What happens with single issue then? I havent looked at my analytics data for a while now, so is it just articles etc, I was sure there was an overall download figure in there! I'm off to check :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to mobly

Let me know what you find out. I'm not sure how we handle it for SE

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status