• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording audio level in Sound control panel resets after each slide

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a HUGE problem for me ever since I went from Windows XP to Windows 7 and Captivate 5.5.  Basically, the sound was not recording loudly enough no matter what I did.  So, I checked the Sound Control Panel and the Level was down to 12.  Of course, I adjusted it to 100.  It would stay at 100 for just one recording.  As soon as I hit the red recording button a second time, Captivate readjusts it back down to 12. 

Now, you might think that this has something to do with my hardware device.  Think again.  I tried numerous hardware devices -- it did not matter which device I used -- the problem remained the same.  You might also think that it is not a Captivate problem, but how do you explain that the problem does not exist when I record audio in any other program -- Lectora, Articulate, Windows Audio recorder?  It ONLY occurs with Captivate.

So, I finally got an Adobe Support person on the phone ...  somewhere way down in TIMBUCKTOO -- of course!  And of course, he could not help me or explain why this is happening and tried to blame it on anything except Captivate.  This has added 6-7 keystrokes to every slide I have to record....  and drastically impacted productivity.

Is anybody listening out there?  Because I'm pulling my hair out and ready to dump Captivate!

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your Calibrate Audio settings?

Do these also change dynamically without you wishing?

Audio_CalibrateAudioSetting.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried each different setting:  CD Bitrate, Near CD Bitrate, etc.  And I've been auto-calibrating.  When I auto-calibrate, I end up with a setting of Custom at about 202.  After recording, these settings don't change.  What changes is my Sound Control panel level setting on my recording device, but it does not change until AFTER I hit the record button a second time.  I stumbled on one workaround:  If I go to the Advanced Tab on the Sound Control panel under "Default Format," there is a dropdown menu.  If I make another selection on that dropdown (toggling between CD Quality and DVD Quality after each recording) and hit Apply, then the next time I hit the red record button in Captivate, it does not set back the sound level on the recording device.  So, that's what I'm doing before each and every sound recording!  This is what's making me crazy ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No -- they don't.  It's only the Sound Control panel "level" on the microphone device.  Clearly, Adobe did not do enough regression testing on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two PCs running Win7.  Both work fine with Captivate 4, 5, and 5.5.  No issues with the sound levels.

Since this issue is not present for all Win 7  PCs (Adobe would be deluged with complaints) it's possible the issue you're both experiencing might relate to a specific set of hardware or software drivers.

Why not post some extensive specs on your relevant machines here (make model chipsets driver versions etc) so that anyone else with similar specs that don't have the issue can chime in with any observations?

For what its worth.  I'm running two DELL Studio 17 inch laptops on Win 7 Ultimate.  I usually use a USB mic for recording (Rode Podcaster or Blue Yeti) and don't experience issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new Dell Laptop with Win 7 Enterprise.  And I use a USB Logitech mic for recording (and have tried other mics).  I'll see what I can do to post my specs.  Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a newish laptop, you need to be aware that new drivers are often being released for current models on a regular basis.  Products often go out without being totally debugged because manufacturers cannot predict all of the thousands of situations in which they will be used, and the thousands of software apps that will get loaded onto them.

If you're experiencing issues with audio, regularly check for updated audio or ASIO drivers from DELL or the companies that make their chipsets and audio components. It's not unusual to hear on this forum that someone's showstopper issue was fixed just by installing a new driver update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question:  how do you get screen captures to paste into your posts here?  I can't make it work with a CTRL-V.  What's the trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the captures as graphics files (e.g. PNG) and then use the little camera icon on the toolbar to insert them into the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, can you attach PNG's? I cannot, have to use JPEG.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  I only ever use PNG.  Make sure it's either 8-bit or 24-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting specs on my machine.  If there are any settings I left out, please let me know where to go to find further information.  I'm assuming my audio/sound devices may be of interest here:

System Details1.png

System Details2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the exact same problem.  Windows 7 x64 using a Yeti Microphone (although it also happened with another device).   Very frustrating.  My sound level also drops to 12 as soon as I start recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sound level dropping to 12 is exactly what mine does.  If anyone can solve this problem, it would save me a WORLD of hurt.  It's got to be a Windows 7 issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know if this is fixed by moving to 6.x?   I'm using 5.5 right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved to 6 and it did not fix anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been using Windows 7 and Adobe Captivate 7 as well as 5.5. The old 5.5 has no issues recording with the Blue Yeti mic, but I have the same problem when I use AC 7. My workaround is to ignore the computer mic settings as well as the calibration settings. I only adjust the Audio Settings "Pre-amplifier value: 1.9". I hit ok and that's it. By adjusting that number, I can determine enough control of the amplification of the recording to maintain a clear, but audibly strong recording. Hope that helps someone.Audio Setting Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the EXACT same issue - I am also using Windows 7 and Captivate version 5.5. Can you tell me if you ever found a fix for this? It is taking A TON of time to go back and fix the audio level after EVERY slide. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I have used Captivate for years and am seriously considering dumping it after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!  Someone else speaks up.  I called Adobe Support (after waiting for hours) and they were no help at all.  This is clearly a BIG issue and they are not addressing it at all.

I am using Camtasia now... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheri - Sorry for the slow response -- I just now started getting alerts on this feed.  I actually had our tech guy reinstall Captivate version 4 (alongside 5.5).  I create and edit the videos in 4 and then convert them to 5.5 when I want to add 5.5 bells and whistles.  This is the only workaround that I have found up to now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now having this same issue. I've look at the our system and had our IT guys take a stab at it. We do not know what is causing it. One day, our audio worked prefect, the next - we not have no volume at all with sound. We've tried both a Logitech Mic and WebCam/Mic. I've started using a Cyber Accustics Head set and still have the same issue.

Adjusting the input levels on the mics will help some, but not much at all.

Has anyone else had any other luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources