Skip navigation
kwillustrator
Currently Being Moderated

anchored objects and text wrap

Jun 15, 2012 12:55 PM

Tags: #problem #mac #cs5.5 #layout #indesign_cs5 #styles #print #page

HI, I have some large images that I want to anchor to the top of the page extending to the off sides to the spine. I've tried and tried with the 0 space paragraph, etc to get the text to wrap properly. It's usually just a fragment of the last sentence prior to the image that runs under the image (and there is no alert that it IS under there!

Using CS5.5

Thoughts?

Replies
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to kwillustrator

eh? please explain! and supply some pix.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to kwillustrator

If you had a negative value as shown in the text wrap option for the graphic, AND the graphic were on a higher layer or placed above the text, you would mask the type as described.

You're mention of anchored to the top of the page needs clarification. Anchored frequently refers to graphic objects which are placed in-line with the text.

Negative Text Wrap.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to kwillustrator

My guess is you will never get this to work the way you want at the top of a page except in those cases where the paragraph starts at the top. Text wrap on custom positioned anchored objects only affects text in lines following the anchor position, so the only way to make this work at the top of the page is to add a new paragraph with 0 leading as the first line and put the anchor in that. That won't work if the first line at the top of the page is part of a paragraph that started on the previous page.

You'd probably be better off not to anchor the image at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to kwillustrator

Welcome to the world of page layout and anchored objects. This kind of project ALWAYS has a lot of manual tweaking involved. The only way to work with custom anchored objects and text wrap, and not need to fight, is to make sure the image is always below the line with the anchor, which is basically an impossible task.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points