Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reduce size of video to download

Jun 15, 2012 7:41 AM

I am getting closer to the launch of a new on-line educational video series and would like to offer the customer a high resolution and low resolution download.  These are sent to the user through an automated system to be downloaded to their computer.

I saved the originals to share using the standard settings as an MPEG, NTSC Widescreen, 740x480, 29.97 fps.  The biggest one is 2 gb.

Are you able to give me an idea as to what to change to reduce their size without ruining the quality of video?

THANKS in advance for your support!

Linda

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Will these be only viewed on the end-user's computer, or will they need to work with them, say by editing them?

If ONLY for viewing, then the newer DivX CODEC's work well. They allow for greater compression, with good quality at lower Bit-Rates.

One potential downside is that the end-users will need the DivX CODEC's installed, to use. The CODEC's are free, but could require them to do a download and install - something that might not be allowed on a corporate computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

I would start at DivX, but make sure that you look at all of the options. There are the CODEC's, players, and then some "Pro" Encoding/Decoding tools, that are for sale. Before just downloading, or buying a bunch of stuff, spend some time reading on the site.

Once the CODEC's are properly installed, they should be available in the Advanced/Options area for MS-AVI output.

I have the CODEC's, and players (not the ultimate players, and installation will often "hook" some other AV formats in the File Associations area), on both main computers, plus the "Pro" utilities on the workstation. As I only have PrE on the laptop, I cannot tell you of any limitations with the Pro utilities, but PrE will use the DivX CODEC's just fine, in my installation.

If you are doing a lot of these, and also want even more control, then the Pro utilities might be worth the price, but with only a few, just the free CODEC's, and PrE, should be just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

If you do have any issues, just stop back by.

Remember, you will go to Share Tab, and then choose Personal Computer>Microsoft AVI (not DV-AVI), then under Video>Compressor, choose DivX from the drop-down.

Also, after you install the DivX CODEC's, be sure to re-boot the computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

It has been a long time, since I last downloaded the DivX CODEC's, but that looks about right.

Before you do any install, I would create a System Restore Point, for now - just in case.

As for the CODEC's to use, the AVI one will likely be what you want. MKV (Matroska) and H.264 (the CODEC of MP4's and AVCHD MTS, plus some others) are for other files, and AAC is an Audio CODEC (Advanced Audio CODEC).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

If I use one of these settings will my client have to load one of their players or just the Codec that I end up saving the video in?

They will only need the CODEC, or, if they use a video player, such as VLC, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, they will already have it. I personally find both of those to be much better than the DivX player, or Windows Media Player. Both are free, and contain many common CODEC's. They can also use many CODEC's installed on a system, if they do not have the one(s) necessary. Many like them, because they do not install any CODEC's onto a system, but still will play so very much, and better than a lot of other players.

For a bit more detail on CODEC's in general, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Note: I have seen some recent reports of the DivX Player updates messing up some Adobe products. If you use the DivX Player, I would definitely turn the Auto Update feature OFF - actually, I do that with about every program, as I do not want anything updating, without me knowing about it, so I can create a System Restore Point before ANY updates are done.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

For Export/Share, do NOT use DV-AVI. That is a very specific CODEC, and not likely what you want, though it is a good CODEC, for its purposes. It has about 5% compression, and the files end up being ~ 13GB per hour of runtime. However, they are universal to PC's. This is the CODEC, that PrE is really built around. Really nothing better, but it is SD only, so is not possible with HD material.

What you will want, instead, is Microsoft AVI, and then in the Compressor, choose the DivX CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

I would not not install any components, that are not needed. I would stick with just the CODEC's for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:40 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

You need to scroll, to see the MS AVI. You don't want MPEG. Look for the tiny scroll bars on the far right, and move those, to get to MS-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Linda,

The CODEC's are not in PrE. They are installed into the system. PrE looks at the system, to find potential CODEC's to use as Compressor. Usually, the defaul will be CinePak by Radiius (a very old CODEC, that should not be used, but is usually the "first on the list."). There should be a little down-arrow, besides CinePak, and when one clicks on it, a list of possible CODEC's will be revealed. The DivX CODEC should appear there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

When you go to Video CODEC, and click the little arrow, do you not see the DivX CODEC in that drop-down?

video+save+-+hunt.png

If not, then it might be that the DivX CODEC did not install properly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Linda,

It sounds like it is not installing properly.

I would use G-Spot (free, and great video utility), and look in the Toolbar>Tables>Video CODEC's. Do you see the DivX CODEC there?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

OK, thanks for that.

Can you twirl down the Video CODEC drop-down and post a screen-cap, showing all of the CODEC's that are showing?

Good luck,

Hun

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Ah, that is good to know, and explains why my DivX CODEC is showing on my XP-Pro (32-bit) system. Thanks for that, as I learned something from it, and something that I had not considered.

The DivX Plus Converter (used to be called Pro) is a good utility. Going back, it cost about US $40. I use it on my workstation, as it offers a bit more control, than just using the CODEC out of PrPro. It does mean that you will be required to output an intermediate file, and then run that through the Encoder, but I do that to get more control and options.

Good luck, and I appreciate the info.

Hunt

PS - Xvid is the open source CODEC for DivX, but I have no idea whether it will work on a 64-bit OS. Also, I have NEVER been able to get it to work with either PrE, or PrPro - it always crashes the program, where DivX always works. Still, might be worth a test?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

File size is directly related to only two things: Duration and Bit-Rate.

Quality is related to Bit-Rate, and then the compression scheme.

A good CODEC will allow quality to be held, while lowering the Bit-Rate, hence my suggestion for DivX. It allows for a lower Bit-Rate, but with maintained quality.

There is no magic bullet, and often, it takes a lot of experimentation to get things right, as it is a real balancing act.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

(x86) is the 32bit program folder

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Great news, and thank you for reporting both your success (most important), and also your steps, as those will likely help others.

I probably need to update my Xvid CODEC's, and test Exporting to it, with my Adobe NLE programs again. My version is now pretty old, and the newer one has probably fixed a lot of issues.

When I kept getting crashes in both PrE and PrPro, I just started using DivX, and did not download newer Xvid CODEC's, or trying with later versions of PrE, or PrPro. I just turned my back, but your report will spur me to explore things a bit more, with newer CODEC's.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you have a moment, you might want to mark the thread as Answered, and also use the "Was this Helpful Yes - No?" where you found good replies. That will help others, who visit the thread later, and will help Adobe do a better job with the forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Great info.

When I get a moment, I will get the latest, and follow your steps.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points