Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Snap object reference point to grid

Jun 15, 2012 7:27 AM

How can I snap the center of an arbitrary symmetrical

object to the grid?

For instance the center of a circle or rectangle.

According to this discusssion it's not possible:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3759721#3759721

How can I define a reference point in an arbitrary object

or in a group of objects and snap this to the grid?

Best regards  --Gernot Hoffmann

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

What is happening is that it is snapping to the grid by the edge of your object rather than center.

Draw guides, turn off snap to grid, turn on snap to pint, turn on smart guide, and the center will now snap to your guides.

Screen shot 2012-06-15 at 10.53.02 AM.png

I pathfindered 2 circles to make the single shape boobies, and they snapped.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

I checked it and it seems not possible. CS5. It snaps to the grid the sides of the object's bounding box in its reset state or the bounding box of a group of objects. The center or place of the cursor is disregarded.

I also realized that Smart Guides are not working while Snap to Grid is on.

A couple of workarounds.

1. Using Snap to Grid, create  short path with two anchor points snapped to the grid. You can create just one anchor point but this will require Outline view to see it. Turn off Snap to Grid and using Smart Guides snap the center to the anchor point of the path you created.

2. Create your own grid using the Grid tool, turn it into Guides (Ctrl+ 5), and use the Smart Guides. Have in mind that guides belong to a layer, so you may create a dedicated layer on top of all layers for the grid guides and lock it to prevent the grid affected from things like Hide Others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Glad the workaround helps. In writing looks like alot of steps, but should really take lea few seconds.

Having worked on systems like Hell Chromacon, CrTronic before the desktop systems, there were lots of aggravating long processes and code to remember, so I can live with this. But I do feel your aggravation, and is especially disappointing that in recent years Adobe software has not advanced as much.  We really need innovative people with attention to detail like Kai Krause to help push the graphics industry again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

starting shape, center won't snap to grid

snaptogrid1.gif

grab the center, drag/drop it to any anchor currently snapped to grid, release.

snaptogrid2.gif

now, the center will snap to the grid

snaptogrid3.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Ha! That was cool Carlos. How did you find this? Snap to point must be on though.

So, once the center point is snapped, Illustrator is smart enough to know this and is using a different snapping rule? It doesn't snap any longer using the bounding box. To get back to that rule, the snap to grid must be turned off, move object off the snapping, and turn the snap to grid again.

This makes me wonder how they haven't made so many things in Illustrator being more intelligent while in certain aspects they put the efforts of making intelligent behaviors in such obscure ways that most likely will be missed by many users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to emil emil

pretty cool hah, I was just playing with it, initially trying to find a key combination that magically allowed snapping the center, no luck. Then I was going to post another work around, I would hit P for pen tool and click anywhere to create an orphan point, then the center would snap to that point, side effect is, we would have to delete the point afterwards.

after I deleted the point, and moved around the shape....still snapping....mmmm, interesting. Then, load, rinse, repeat 20 different things till realized how it worked.

by the way, all this was done with Snap to Grid On, once the center snaps, there's no need to turn snapping Off and back On again, simply grab any other outer anchor, they will all snap, but the center will loose the snapping....no biggie, drop it to another already snapped anchor to get its snapping back.

....I don't think this is a feature or anything close to "intelligent design", this behavior seems merely accidental.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Then, may be you are the first one to find this.

I think you are right, "intelligent design" is unlikely in Illustrator lol - accidental likely. It is obvious they designed it to snap the bounding box and technically this is a bug that is useful in this case. They don't usually fix things and in rare cases like this, it is for good.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

>For my simple graphical illustrations I could use InDesign, but alas,

there is no Arrowhead.

InDesign does provide basic arrowheads.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

I'm apologizing for not giving points, in my opinion it's a somewhat childish concept.

And thank you for that. I agree completely.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points