Skip navigation
azkoper
Currently Being Moderated

Recovering My Catalog to a New Computer (Organizer)

Jun 15, 2012 9:46 AM

Tags: #recovery #organizer #backup

My computer was in a flood and I was able to save my disk drive and copy it to a new one. This then required me to reinstall Photoshop Elements (5.0) on a new computer but of course myold catalog is not there. How can I recover my old Organizer to my new computer so that I don't have to type in all new tags, etc? I have located a file called "My Catalog" that has an old backup but is there a way to just bring in the old file into my new installation instead of the backup?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to azkoper

The file paths in the catalog DB will probably be different especially if moving from XP to Windows 7.

The ideal method is back-up & restore from the TLY file created within Elements back up. Is that what you have? Otherwise you will have to use File à Get Photos à From Files & Folders but some or all tags will be lost.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

The ideal method is back-up & restore from the TLY file created within Elements back up. Is that what you have? Otherwise you will have to use File à Get Photos à From Files & Folders but some or all tags will be lost.

If the original poster can move the photos and catalog file to the new computer, then he does not have to use File->Get Photos. In other words, there are still options where the person does not have to lose "some or all tags".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to azkoper

Are you saying that you found a old, copied directory named "My Catalog"?  If so, what are the contents of that directory?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to azkoper

One thing at a time.

If you can find the old catalog file (not the backup, but the actual current before the flood catalog file), find that. It will be *.psa or *.pse. It might be in a hidden folder.

Once you have found that, move it (using Windows) to a drive on the new computer. Then, we will worry about reconnecting the photos.

Let us know if you find it, and then we'll go over the next steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to azkoper

57 MB is a decent size for a catalog file. Remember, your images are not in the catalog, this is just a database that includes text entries about your images.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to azkoper

Okay, so move this catalog file to somewhere on your new computer's hard disks. It doesn't matter where, but make sure you remember where you put it.

Next, ideally, you want to move (using Windows) the photos themselves to the exact same directories that they were in on the old computer. If you kep the same directory structure, this should be a simple move by dragging and dropping the top level folders.

Let us know if you can do this successfully or if there are problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points