Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

error: is an invalid name for a book file

May 13, 2011 3:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to export about 20 files to pdf from a books panel, but when I try this the program just hangs. When I open up the book panel I get the following error:

"is an invalid name for a book file"

I wondered if anyone has come across this error before or knows what it means? I tried to create a new book and reinsert the files but I'm still getting the same problem when I try to go to pdf.

Really appreciate any advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2011 3:59 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

I have not seen this, though the bulk of my work does not need Book files. I'd start with the standard trash your prefs step: Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 4:01 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

Make a new book file and import your files to this again.

Dump the old book file (well store it in safe place JIK)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

You know, I'm getting the message every time I start up inDesign now, and the crash when I try to Preflight a book. No problems with printing to PDF, though. I don't have the Suitcase font utility. I'll update if I ever figure it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to LetraLibre

Trashing the preferences files (as in the above link) did nothing to help the problem. But in the Adobe cache folder referenced in that thread I noticed a folder called "InDesign Recovery." I changed the name of that folder, forcing InDesign to create a new copy.  That took care of the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points