Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't swipe to next article on scrollable frame?

Jun 15, 2012 5:06 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure what's happening here. I've got a page with a scrolling frame which covers the whole page, frame is set to scrolling, scroll direction is vertical only. I've just updated some of the scrollabe content and now when I view on iPad I can't swipe to the next article, the swipe to next article worked fine yesterday, all content and links work OK I just can't get off the page now... any suggestions?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

Import the said article as a PNG

Very strange I know

But it works

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to HugoKing321

I'm also having problems getting a full-page scrollable frame to swipe to the next article. I am dealing with a horizontal-only situation, though -- is that why it's not working?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to gardnermag

You're making a horizontal only folio? with a full page scrollable frame?

one direction or both directions?

if you import the article into the folio as a PNG ARTICLE you will be able to swipe off it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to tim.hughes

yes -- horizontal only folio with full page scrollbale frame, both directions. We wanted to acheive smoothscrolling without snap. I'll give PNG article a try, thanks,

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to HugoKing321

This is happening when using PDF as .folio format.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to gardnermag

you do know you can make smooth scrolling pages?

Change the article height to over 768px or 1536px depending on which ratio you're designing to, then when you import it select Horizontal in the smooth scroll drop down...

This removes the need for a scrollable frame...

You can set your folio to be PDF by default, but then import certain articles as a different format, which is why I was suggesting for the pages with scrollable frames to import as PNG.

Does all this make sense?

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

I'm going to nit pick a little bit here:

tiim.hughes wrote:

Change the article height to over 768px or 1536px

That should say 768 or 1024. I just don't want some to be confused reading this.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

But still tho, the point is valid.

With a scrollable frame that only scrolls vertically, shouldn't one be able to swipe to the next page?

I encounter this problem quite frequently with small scrollable parts of a page. I see many users having problems with this, when they want to swipe to the next page. The workaround I've found is to have clear pointing arrows placed somewhere else on the page saying "Swipe to the next page" or similar, but obviously it would be nice if that could be omitted.

Wouldn't it be an idea to allow page swiping on vertical-only scrollable frames?

Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

Apologies, I realize I mis-spoke. Sroll in one direction only (horizontal). I worry about the PNG import, as I understand that does not render as sharply in retna/ iPad 3. But maybe if the folio is pdf and the individual articles are png, that does not hold true?

I wonder if I can use your adjusted page height idea in a different way -- make my pages all really wide. I'm going to give that a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

I'm going to nit pick a little bit here:

tiim.hughes wrote:

Change the article height to over 768px or 1536px

That should say 768 or 1024. I just don't want some to be confused reading this.

Bob

Nit Pick all you want Bob - but get your facts straight first.

My understanding before this was clarified three posts after your "nit pick" was that this post was related to a Horizontal only article.

therefor the height will always be 768px or if you're going to go for iPad 3 Dimensions then your height would be 1536px.

If you're going to start slamming people on a help forum.

make sure you do it right.

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to gardnermag

So your folio is of Vertical Orientation?

I have tried the horizontal smooth scroll, it wouldn't work for myself but maybe you'll have better luck!

Don't worry about the quality, it still looks really good on the iPad 3 if you have good quality assets!

I've been mixing png and pdf pages for a while now! and it seems to do pretty well!! doesn't really make a difference to over all folio size either!

As I said before, Good Luck with the smooth scroll pages!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

My folio is horizontal-only orientation with horizontal-only, full-page scrolling frames. So the interactivity couldn't tell the difference between the user scrolling page content, or attempting to swipe to the next article. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for all the brainstorms/ideas for workarounds. If I come up with a good solution, I'll post here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

And that’s my point. You should only be designing at 1024x768. Creating a file that is 2048x1536 is unnecessary and prone to problems.

Create it at 1024x768 and set the folio resolution to 2048x1536.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to gardnermag

That's cleared it up!

I tried to make a horizontal smooth scroll page and couldn't get it to work!

Please share your outcomes it'd be great to know how you worked around it!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

The length of the content in a scrolling frame is irrelevant in whether PDF will work. Even with PDF that scrolling content will be rasterized.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

Hi again,

I just wonder - why are you putting such a large scrollable frame inside such a long article?

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

I don't think the article is that long, Tim. I think the OP has confused smooth scrolling articles with scrollable frames.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

Ah I think I understand you now.

So you have a scrollable frame that is 1024px wide and 4000px high

that sits within an article that is 1024px wide and 768px high.

Your scrollable frame is set to Verticle Only but you still can't swipe horizontally to the next article.

> Try and import this article as a PNG - I know you've tried JPEG, but I've only managed to get these types of articles to work as PNG

which is a credit to Bob, because he suggested this a few months back on a post I was having trouble with myself...

PNG should work

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

Another issue might be the size of this thing. I’m not sure what the current recommendations are but it wasn’t that long ago that anything over 2000 pixels was a crapshoot as far as problems are concerned. I think most of that was memory issues, though.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I'm testing for that as we speak, will post the results

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

So Okay,

Excuse the lame design (only 10 minutes of my lunch break left)

So I quickly mocked up a 768x1024 doc (Horizontal)

Made a Scrollable frame 732x952px to sit on the page bleed at the bottom and within left and right margins

Created 4000px Deep worth of fake content (Grouped and pasted into the scrolling frame)

Set to vertical scroll only

Popped a stickly overlay on top and a background image underneath

All in seperate layers.

Imported as a PNG article

and here are the results.

IMG_0017.PNG

IMG_0018.PNG

IMG_0021.PNG

All images are screen grabs and the last demonstrates that even with a scrolling frame this long - if you import as png you can still horizontally swipe off it

All's good!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

After upgrading to V19 we were unable to swipe to the next page over any scrolling content. However when the app was published it worked just fine.  Leap of faith I call it!  So when testing anything using content viewer (desk and tablet) the scrolling content areas remain dead yet when the app is published everything works just as it should.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

That is one fairly drastic leap! I wouldn't trust the desktop viewer to save my life!

but hey, if it works for you guys! fingers crossed it keeps on working!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

It does work. Published two successful folios since the v19 upgrade. All of which wouldn't let you swipe over any scrolling content, regardless of real estate, when tested with the viewer.  In the viewers defence it's the only problem I've discovered with it.  DPS is not an exact science, more of a dark art!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

Hugo, yes I think MOBLY started a thread about dead space over scrolling content when v19 came about. You'd have to dig though.  I've been using DPS since pre-release (where you could swipe over scrolling areas when testing in Viewer). The leap of faith wasn't quite a big leap! We have a sandbox account and published to these credentials so only a set amount of devices could subscribe to it, and it behaved differently. In a good way.  Full page slide shows were always the sticking point but with hot spot activation thats not really an issue anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Ah I see!! Best way to test!

Hmm that's very strange, maybe it's just a case of taking this leap of faith!

Good luck with it all anyway! - if you do figure it out let us know!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to HugoKing321

Scrollable frams supercede any other function.  You need a safe area somewhere to be about to swipe vertically or horizontally, otherwise you are just swiping inside of the scrollable frame.  I have come across professional publications that have a full frame scrollable page and you can not even get to the next page without using the quick scrubber or the table of contents.  This is an issue that I still deal with regularly.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to Ryan A. SGS

Hi team - rediscovered this thread having had similar problems. I have an additional tip I have discovered.

I have a series of articles, each made up of a scrolling text box containing anchored artwork on a vertical layout. The scrolling text box takes up around 90% of the page - with a thin running header above it.

I found I was unable to swipe right or left to the next article on some of the pages, but not on others. To clarify, the template is exactly the same for each page. So why the difference?

What I discovered was that on some of my scrolling text boxes, anchored artwork carried drop shadow or outer glow that caused it to sit fractionally outside the confines of the text box in which they were anchored.

WIth the shadow removed or the artwork adjusted so that every part of it fitted within the frame, hey presto! Everything worked.

It only took me about 7 hours to work out, and I hardly got incredibly angry at all.

Hope it may help somebody!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to tortoise816

That's bound to help someone sooner or later. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to tortoise816

Absolutely brilliant slice of info! Thanks for sharing!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

Yea watch those effects. They can bleed from article to article.

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to HugoKing321

I still have a similar issue.

I'm having a portrait only .folio 768x1024 (page by page) with horizontal only scrollable frames on multiple single pages.

The scrollable frames are full-with 768x1024 (portrait).

The content inside the scrollable frames have the size 1536 x 1024.

Swiping from page to page within the article (vertically) works well.

Swiping from current article to previous or next article doesn't work!

It sometimes works with two finger swipe gestures, tough.

The .folio is PDF but I've also tried PNG in article settings.

I've noticed, if the content inside the scrollable frame has same size (768x1024) or smaller as the parent frame (scrollable) it works.

This happens on iOS6 and iOS7.

Is it a bug?

Thanks for any help.

Best rgds,

Phil

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status