Skip navigation
griffkm
Currently Being Moderated

Downloading Adobe on a Dell--Open Office software?

Jun 16, 2012 11:08 AM

I have downloaded Adobe Reader on my Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop (Windows 7 operating system, 3 GB RAM, Intel Pentium Processor) on three separate occasions, hoping I will be able to use it to view PDF documents.  This would help me enormously in viewing time-sensitive documents.  Each of the downloads have failed. The predominant issue I can think of is that I do not have Microsoft Office on my laptop--instead I have OpenOffice, which may be the problem.  Each time, when I attempt to open PDF files, they convert to WordPad and appear as gibberish.  Is there a solution to this, apart from installing the various Microsoft Office programs?

Thank you for your feedback.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to griffkm

This has nothing to do with any of that. Your file associations are simply busted. Fix them by checking your Explorer options under File --> Options, Associations tab... Delete all current PDF associations, create new ones by right-clicking on a PDF and using Open With... to define a default program.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to griffkm

Moved to Adobe Reader

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 9:30 PM   in reply to griffkm

You do not need Microsoft Office (or any other Office suite) to download/install/use Adobe Reader.

The simplest way to fix the Reader's file associations is to uninstall & reinstall it; download the full installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points