Skip navigation
rcrodgers
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to playback media, source and program windows blank

Jun 15, 2012 9:50 PM

Tags: #error #premiere_pro #no_video_and_audio #video_problem

I have Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium installed and usually operating at 100% functionality on a Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) machine (AMD FX-8150, 16 GB RAM, 200+ GB free disk space.). For the second time recently, I've run into a problem where the source and program windows/frames don't show any of my video clips or sequences at all; as per usual I double click an item in my Project window/frame to edit something or open a sequence to play it back, and I get nothing. (Screenshot below.) Clicking the play button after a few minutes may result in hearing some of the audio but it doesn't always work, and it's very delayed, sometimes by minutes. This occurs across all my projects, so it doesn't seem to be tied to a particular one, and it persists across reboots.

I'm not sure what I did to cure the problem the first time around; it just seemed to get over it. Regardless, this does make editing very difficult, and I'm about to start on a new project...

Any idea how to fix this issue or at least what might be causing it?http://www.badlucksoft.com/premiere_problem_small.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to rcrodgers

For this kind of issue I'd suspect the graphics driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to rcrodgers

What is the brand/model of your graphics adapter, and what is the driver number?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to rcrodgers

Have you tried right click on gray area of the program monitor and holding it over "display mode" and then and changing it to YC-waveform or vectorscope to see if that will show up or not. Then if those show up try switching it to composite video and see if the video comes back.

Also If you have a graphics card that is using the MPE's GPU acceleration then I'd try to turning that off just to see if the video shows back up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to rcrodgers

As the Source Monitor is but a video "player," but with extra controls, and the Program Monitor is a display for playback of the Timeline (for editing), I lean to Jim & John T's thought - display driver issue, as the problem manifests itself in both monitors.

Many things can render a video driver obsolete.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to rcrodgers

Use windows system restore to roll your computer back to before you updated your graphics driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to rcrodgers

Good news!

Both ATI/AMD and nVidia have released drivers, that mess some things up. Keeping a few "known good at the time" older versions is a good idea. I have perhaps 3 older nVidia drivers, should a new one mess up my Adobe programs' display and playback.

When a bad driver has been released, the mfgrs. usually are quick to release a "new and improved," to fix things. As GPU (and their drivers) development is driven primarily by the gaming industry, things that improve gaming, might not play well with some other programs. When the complaints start flowing, they are quick to fix things.

I also recommend doing a System Restore Point, prior to any driver updates, just in case. As you had the older driver, you got things fixed.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points