Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader could not open

Jun 15, 2012 12:24 AM

Each time that I go to turn on my computer once it turns on and my main page opens I receive an error message from my Adobe Reader that reads as follows -

Adobe Reader count not open "btrez.dll" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded.

I have tried a couple of things to correct this error such as deleting my Adobe Reader from my system and then downloading Adobe Reader with the newest edition of Adobe Reader and again I still receive this error message. I also have gone into my Tools then into my Internet options then into Browsing History Settings. Once in settings I made sure that in the section that says "Check for newer versions of stored pages: Making sure that the line that says "Automaticly" is checked to be active. I then rebooted my computer to see if this corrected the problem and it did not so I then went to delete Adobe Reader once more then followed by reinstalling Adobe Reader and again it failed to correct this error. Please I need some help on either repairing this error or fixing Adobe Reader so that I don't receive this error message ever again. Please advise, thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to blusky4u

You may want to try running this fix from Microsoft and uninstall all traces of any versions of Reader:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

If you want to reinstall Reader, download its full installer from

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

After downloading, restart your computer and run the installer before doing anything else.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to blusky4u

This is definitely not something that should happen:

1. Adobe Reader should not automatically run at Windows startup
    2. Adobe Reader should not try to open a DLL file

Do you have Adobe Reader (AcroRd32.exe) in your Windows startup list?  Check it with msconfig.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points