Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to convert InDesign CS4 doc to MS Word?

Jun 17, 2012 9:33 AM

As a graphic designer, I always design brand stationery elements in InDesign CS4. Often a two colour pantone printing job for my customer to match envelopes and cards, etc.

Now I've got a young engineering customer who doesn't want hard copies. He wants a template(?) for his letterhead and contracts to be able to email. He uses MS Word. How best do I take an InDesign design and convert it to Word? (I hate the thought!)
I offered a PDF file he could print, but he can't use that on the road.

My design for him uses 2 Pantone colours; uses two fonts he doesn't have; and a tiff graphic as a tint in the background that bleeds to the edge.

Anyone done this before?

Will it look the same as my graphic?

Thanks for your advice! :-)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to kiski

Among all the facets I thought aboout on this one, the consideration of bleeds are mentioned early in Anne-Marie's blog on this.

You may need to tone down your design to meet your clients real world ablities on this one. The actual Pantone Spots are out, your client doesn't have any cans of ink, scales, etc.

Review this article by Anne-Marie Concepcion

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to kiski

One of the major problems with Microsoft Office products is their inability to allow import/placement of either EPS (properly - for screen display at all or for printing to non-PostScript devices) or PDF (simply not supported).

When faced with the issue of please prepare us some letterhead or provide us with a letterhead template (they just want the logo and the other material), my approach has been to do the design in InDesign and export PDF. The Word user creates their document on a blank page (leaving room for the stationery's logo, footer, etc.) and when done, saves as a PDF file. In Acrobat, they then use the Background or Watermark feature to add the stationery PDF to whatever pages of the document need that content. Foolproof and maintains the full graphic quality of the stationery as produced in InDesign, including if so desired, spot colors.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to kiski

The client’s expectations should be controlled. To expect a word processor to provide the same output as a page layout application is horribly unreasonable.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points