Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lost a project - where to look?

Jun 16, 2012 5:15 AM

I have been working on a project for a week.  Regular saves as well as auto-saves.   Opened PE10 this morning to finish it up and it is gone.

I saved the project to the default location and when I look at "open recent projects" it is not there.  It is also not in the "open project..." under the file drop down.  I have searched windows using the project name as well as *.prel but it turns up nothing. 

I am going to try a desperate grasp at straws and try a rollback to an earlier restore point that I am pretty sure will not do a thing but I am out of ideas.  Does anyone have anything to offer a frustrated novice as to how to recover/find this project?  If not how about some suggestions as to how to avoid this from happening again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Keledole

While System Restore Poins are great, and I use them all of the time, I doubt that you will be able to find a missing PREL, with it, as it only holds info on the OS, and not data files.

If you have done a complete Search of the system, including My Documents, and found no PREL, then something is wrong.

Depending on where you located your Project, there should be an AutoSave folder, with five (the default setting for AutoSaves) AutoSave PREL's.

For the future, this ARTICLE might be useful for setting up Project folders. Also, see this ARTICLE on Project Files and Saving.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Keledole

Try the utility 'Search Everything', once it has indexed your disk(s) it provides near instant partial filename search results.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to Keledole

Well, sorry that the PREL did not show up, nor did the AutoSaves. It seems that the Project folder was Deleted in some way.

At least this wasn't an almost finished Master's Thesis, due on Monday AM!

Good luck, and do take a look at the Project Files & Saving article, as those Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy have helped me in the past.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points