Skip navigation
LaboratorioDeIdeas
Currently Being Moderated

Renditions in iPhone

Jun 8, 2012 12:54 PM

Hi all....

Ive been working on a series of travel guides for one of our clientes. We are doing an iPhone only version of the Viewer using the latest content viewer builder. This app has been rejected two times by Apple; the first rejection was based on the fact that it was crashing on the iPad 2 5.1.1. Today, Ive got our second rejection, this time based on that it wasnt  running at iPhone resolution and/or 2x iPhone 3GS resolution when reviewed on iPad. 

I feel very confused. I read the guides posted by Adobe and I dont know what am I doing wrong.

The folios we are making are based on iPhone 4 resolution 960x640 only. We are not creating renditions for iPhone 3GS 480x320. I have no idea of iOS internals, but does any one know if its a-must to have also a rendition for iPhone availble.

Can anyone guide me regarding this matter?

Thanks

Daniel Echeverri

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 15, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

I'm guessing that your 960x640 folios are causing the viewer in the iPhone 3GS to crash. If that's the case, my recommendation would be a create renditions. You shouldn't have to create new source files -- just new folios. If you create a 480x320 folio and import your 960x640 articles, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

You have written "We are doing an iPhone only version of the Viewer using the latest content viewer builder". If you are submitting an iPhone only version, Apple should not be reviewing it on iPad. Can you check if you have built a universal build (Both iPhone and iPad) or just iPhone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

I would suggest to contact Apple and let them know that this is an iPhone only App and is not intended to work on iPad. iPhone apps and iPad apps are separately available.

Just be sure to check in Viewer Builder that you have selected iPhone only. Also make sure it works on iPhone.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 18, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

I haven't heard of anyone else report this issue, but I'm not aware of anyone else who is creating an iPhone-only viewer app. When you create the iPhone-only app in Viewer Builder, can you load the .ipa file on an iPad?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 18, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

Thanks for letting us know. This looks like a bug in Viewer Builder. I'll let you know when I find more information.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 20, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

The DPS team is looking into this issue. We were mistakenly thinking that an iPhone-only viewer app didn't need to work on the iPad, but Apple requires that iPhone apps should work on the iPad. It's uncertain whether Adobe will address this issue through a hot fix or wait until the next release. The current workaround is to create a universal viewer app (iPad and iPhone). You'll want to include at least one iPad folio so that the library isn't empty. Sorry about this issue and the delay in getting back to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

Has there been any fix yet? Unfortunately I stumbled on this thread much too late, and now am facing the same issue. I can't beleive this was overlooked. Just curious if I have to create an iPad folio now?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 8, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to nikmcilwain1123

This issue still has not been resolved. You cannot create a iPhone-only app at this time.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

In order to use the above fix, we have to create the app as a universal app. How then can we change the Adobe ID that is linked with that account to be a universal app, as it was setup as an iPhone only app?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that we have to create a new Adobe ID / DPS account, make that a universal app, and import all the articles? Basically start from square one?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to LaboratorioDeIdeas

I've created a folio at 768 x 1024, but it still crashes everytime I try to open it on an iPad. It flashes "ViewSubEnt iPad 768x1024"

I've rebuilt the app, uploaded the folio. No idea why it won't show up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Oct 8, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to nikmcilwain1123

What happens if you try to preview the folio using the Desktop Viewer? Do you get an error message?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I've tried creating articles by importing from my existing folios, and also manually by creating a new doc at my folio size and saving it as an article.

When I try to preview the entire folio I get the following error:

"An error has occurred while generating folio preview.

'Untitled Article' does not match the folio orientation intent. Layouts in articles must match the folio orientation intent."

When I try to preview the article I manually created, I get this error:

"Error. This folio contains one or more staks that are not yet supported in Content Viewer for Desktop. PDF stacks are only supported on iOS viewers."

Lastly, when I preview the article that was imported from my 640 x 960px, iPhone folio, the preview works but the images show up as missing, and my overlays are not there. Basically, only the text appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to nikmcilwain1123

Is this bug being addressed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to nikmcilwain1123

Hey, is there any update here? We have clients that are interested in iPhone only but do not want to create universal viewers and make that content themselves.
    Thank you,
    Nik

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 17, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to nikmcilwain1123

This is an old, meadering thread. Please start a new thread with your question.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points