Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best Camera for Graphic Design

Jun 16, 2012 1:09 AM

Tags: #camera #suggestion

I am a Web Designer and Graphic designer in American Samoa. I am looking at cameras for when local clients want me to do work.

What is the best one to get. I want a professional grade, not some $49 special from Wal-Mart.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 1:24 AM   in reply to icaribou

It’s not that some contributors in this Forum may not be able to give relevant advice, but this question might be a better fit for the photography Forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/design_development/photography

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to icaribou

If that doesn't help, the Lightroom forum would be great place to pick some photographers brains on the subject:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

regards,

janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to icaribou

Short of going full out to a DSLR, i'd suggest a Canon Powershot G12. Great camera, portable and quality files.

However, if you have a fixed budget but do want to go the DSLR route, look at a Canon T2i or 7D with a 35mm lens.

Now if you don't have a budget at all and you are willing to put the time in to learn how to use it properly a Hasselblad H4D-50 or a Phase IQ180 are some of the best camera's that money can buy. The output size and quality is quite amazing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Brendan Stewart

I will give a +1 to the little Canon. I inherited a G-10 from my wife, when she went smaller still. It has gotten so that I do not use my Hassleblads, or big Nikons, as much as I once did, and hardly ever, if flying out of Phoenix on the regional jets, as none of my cases will fit anywhere, but checked luggage. For 95% of my shots, I do not miss the bigger cameras, or their lens kits. Not sure how the G-13 has improved, but they should be even better.

I do agree with Don Quinn, that the actual camera is less important than the art and craft of the photographer.

Also, the types of assignments anticipated can steer a lot of folk to give you better, and less general suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Gee, I didn't realize photography and graphic design were the same thing until I read this thread.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 19, 2012 1:02 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

Bill & Brendon, I have a G1X which I got to replace the G10 my wife has decided is now hers   The G10 has totally changed my wifes approach and enthusiasm for taking pictures, mainly because her pictures are soo much better than with the little cheap compact she was using.

However, and it's a pretty big 'however' IMO, a G series camera is a convenient carry around camera that gives good results (the IQ from my G1X is at least as good as the Canon prosumer level DSLRs that I get to process files from, but it sure as heck is not a DSLR, and does not give the sort of control you'd need for a working camera.   I actually PM'd the OP to keep an off topic thread growing (but it happened anyway)  I suggested a used 5D2 and a Canon 100mm macro lens.  That combination would be capable of outstanding product shots, and a lot of what a web/garphic designer might need to shoot.

BTW I get to process files from different assistants/second shooters, and can compare IQ.  From the Canon range, the 5D variants can always match the image quality of my 1D bodies (I use 1DsMK3 and a 1DMK4 bodies).  The prosumer cameras I have delt with don't come close, and even 7D shots fall short).  Remember that is from processing many hundreds (probably thousands) of images from those cameras, so first hand experience.

As for my G1X, I got it as a carry around camera, and to take on overseas holidays as I am fed up with lugging heavy camera gear around, but I not yet convinced that I will feel comfortable relying on a compact camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

In this case, at least as I read it, we have a graphic designer, who feels the need to also do photography in the course of their work.

Did you read the OP's request differently? Maybe I missed what they wanted/needed?

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 19, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Lundberg02

Lundberg02 wrote:

Gee, I didn't realize photography and graphic design were the same thing until I read this thread.

With a little imagination it's almost possible to envision them both being used together.

GraphicDesignAndPhotography.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 19, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel are you sure you are not a Brit?  No offence, but you are too good at irony to be an American.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

Bite your tongue. While the British did invent irony, or so they claim (and I will not argue), and then go on to perfect it to an art-form, we "daft" Yanks learned some of the sublimities, when we were mere "colonials."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to icaribou

I own a  Canon 7D and it has never dissapointed but depending on how much

you want to spend you can go up to a Canon 5D

or if you want something a little cheaper you could get the T3i.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 5, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Flamand24

How's the image noise from that 7D?  I've been thinking about moving up from my 40D, and I dial in a fair bit of noise reduction via Camera Raw to get the images as clean looking as I'd like.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points