Skip navigation
DarkCougarMan
Currently Being Moderated

Dynamic Link from Pr to En

Jun 16, 2012 12:17 AM

Tags: #cs5 #dynamic_link #encore #premier_pro #master_collection

I have Master Collection CS5 on Windows 7 x64.  I made a Premier Pro project and have been trying to send the sequence to Encore via Dynamic Link.  At first it looks like it will work--after clicking on the menu item "Send to Encore", Encore starts up and I can enter a new project name in, as expected.  I keep all the settings as default, other than the name of the project and where to put it.  As soon as I click OK, Encore creates the project file, but then that's where it stops.  My mouse becomes a waiting cursor as long as I am mousing over the Encore window and if I try and click in the window, it greys out and the title bar says (Not Responding).  I've let it sit like this for about 30 min to see if it would eventually do what it needs to do, but to no avail.

Very similarly, if I start in Encore and open a project and go to Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import Premeir Pro Sequence, the program goes unresponsive in the same way (this time with no further input).

I have updated QuickTime, turned off all Anti-virus software and disabled my firewall.  In Task Manager, I can see that "Adobe QT32 Server.exe *32" is running, as is "dynamiclinkmanager.exe*32" and "CS5ServiceManager.exe *32" (and of course Adobe Premier Pro.exe).  I've run WireShark to try and determine what ports are being used, but pretty much all the traffic I see (when I stop all my other networking services) is going to 192.150.16.80, which is an Adobe Server, according to my reverse DNS lookup... I don't know if that's an update check or a license check or what...

Are there any Windows Services that I need to make sure are not disabled?  That's about the last idea I have right now...

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to DarkCougarMan

Maybe conforming or the like? 30 minutes may not be enough.

First, export a short bit of the sequence as MPEG2-DVD, open Encore, create a new project with a new name, and import that video.

What format, size, etc, is the PR sequence?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to DarkCougarMan

Perhaps I misunderstand the point of Dynamic Link, but isn't it supposed to be that none of the rendering gets done until it is needed (in this case, in Encore)?

The transcoding doesn't get done until you tell it, but some situations require some processnig. (I don't think that is your issue.)

I doubt it has anything to do with the premier sequence itself because I get the same behavior when initiating Dynamic Link FROM Encore--in this case I never get a chance to select what Premier sequence I want to import because the program goes unresponsive as soon as I hit the "Import Premier Pro Sequence" menu choice.

Yes, that points to Encore. I assume that none of Premiere (the headless instance that runs for DL for example) is starteds at that point.

Also, I did transcode into MPEG2-DVD from Premier and then imported that into Encore, and that works,

So Encore is not totally messed in your install...

but I'd like to get Dynamic Link working, all the same...

Absolutely!

This does not sound like an error we've seen here before.

Try opening Encore using the "run as administrator" tactic, and try the DL from Encore.

MPEG files can create a variety of issues, as often from the audio as the video. But the hang from Encore's end for DL argues against that. But I don't see any further option other than repair/reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to DarkCougarMan

I used to have CS3 on this computer.  I installed CS5 a while back and then uninstalled CS3 somewhat recently.  I wonder if uninstalling CS3 somehow damaged the shared libraries?

I think this was a frequent issue in the CS4 to CS5 step, but I suspect it would also damage a CS5.

Let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanley,

It was my understanding that the "damage" was specific to CS3 and CS4, where if CS3 was installed, then CS4 was installed, uninstalling CS3 DID take some necessary elements for CS4 with it. That was supposed to have been fixed with CS5, but maybe Adobe did not fix it completely? Perhaps Adobe can comment, and educate me, on what the parameters of the problem are, as of CS5 and later.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points