Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I remove these "boomy" noises?

May 16, 2012 9:53 AM

Tags: #microphone #cs6 #record #noises #boomy

Hi, I have just finished recording a guitar tune and noticed that there are some "boomy" noises that I would like to get rid of or at least reduce.

I recorded using 2 x Shure SM57 mics (I know there not ideal for acoustic recording) and recorded into Audition CS6.

Below is a link to the recording, please listen for the boomy noises that I mention and please help me find a way to reduce it.

Thanks

LINK....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6ro6yg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to danbs10

I'm not hearing any boomy 'noises' per se, but, yes, the recording itself is rather boomy at times and then seems to get tinny and then boomy again.  Is the guitarist moving the guitar back and forth from the mikes?  The boominess I'd think would be a result of the proximity effect and possibly of being too close to the 'sound hole' of the guitar.  Basically, I think you're looking at a mike placement issue here.  Out of curiosity, did you have the mikes directly connected to your computer (or sound card) or was there some type of intermediate interface like a mixing board?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to danbs10

I think its going to be pretty tricky to fix this issue.  Equalization is going to be your best bet most likely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to danbs10

Late reply here, but using some EQ might help. Try this.

Apply the Parametric Equalizer. Use these settings:

HP, 140Hz, 24dB/Oct

Band 1, 230Hz, -6dB, Q: 5.7

The HP filter attenuates the low frequency energy. A lot of the boominess is there, especially just above 100Hz and below. There are also some harmonics being generated, which are especially noticeable around 230Hz. It may be overkill to reduce that frequency for the entire track, but it helps a lot for the boomy areas - so I think it's worth cutting a bit there as well.

You may want to drop the high frequencies a bit around the 2-4khz region. They are especially noticeable with the above bass cuts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points