Skip navigation
Jason_C_Hunter
Currently Being Moderated

Playback glitch on export always at same TC

Jun 19, 2012 8:06 AM

Tags: #premiere_pro #cs_5.5 #adobe_media_encoder

Premiere CS5.5 appears to be causing a glitch/stutter at the same spot consistently. I've trashed the renders and re-rendered, I've un-nested the sequence and re-rendered + recompressed, I've exported to MPEG2 via Pr and via dynamic link using Media Encoder and I still can't overcome this error. I've checked the source footage and the glitch is not present there (source foorage was a tape capture).  All source files are transcoded to DV 29;97 NTSC 4:3 QT files.

The glitch itself is similar to a playback stutter but only at one specific point and always at that point. This glitch is also present on the SD DVD created in Encore. That's how I first noticed the error.

The timeline itself is almost 2 hours; I can export a shorter section around the glitch and that encodes without errors but I don't understand why encoding the entire timeline causes this reoccurring glitch/error. 

I'm running production CS 5.5.1 (updated to current version), on a Win7 SP1 64-bit box, 16GB ram. Mercury Playback Engine is disabled since my card doesn't support it.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent the last two night troubleshooting this issue and would love to get back to producing something instead of troubleshooting.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Jason_C_Hunter

Two questions:

What format of footage are you using?

Is what you are seeing the same as what's being discussed here...?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4465139#4465139

(see the screenshots near the bottom of that page)

-James

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Jason_C_Hunter

Don't use QuiRcktime on a Windows machine. It is a well deserved name and you should never use QuiRcktime if you can avoid it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Jason_C_Hunter

MS DV AVI, the format you normally capture SD material in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Jason_C_Hunter

There are a couple of significant problems with QuiRcktime:

1. It is a 32 bit application and completely destroys the 64 bit nature of PR.
    2. It causes a serious gamma shift that to most is unacceptable.
    3. It causes errors that are hard to reproduce, but you still suffer from them.

That is all, at least AFAIK, but IMO that is enough of a show-stopper.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Jason_C_Hunter

Can you offer insight into Harm's comment. Should I avoid QT in favor of AVI for future projects since I'm on a Windows machine?

Quicktime is not a requirement to run PrPro on windows. But if you want full suite-wide feature support and optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install quicktime on windows. That's not my opinion, it's an official Adobe statement:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

"QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features"

I've had no problems with mov files on windows as long as I have the latest qt installed. A lot of people hate QT, although I'm not sure if they've actually had any problems with it or if its just part of mac vs pc animosity.... kinda like snowboarding vs skiing or Yankeees vs Sox. Different people prefer one or the other for different reasons and I've been unable to PROVE that one is always superior or inferior to the other. (I'm pretty sure the Yankees are evil though)

But if you're working mainly in SD and exclusively on windows, then I would definately recommend using DV AVI as your format of choice. But I would still say you should have QT installed, eespecially if you're running the production suite on there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points