Skip navigation

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Jun 3, 2012 9:12 AM

Latest reply: deepansh1989, Oct 18, 2013 9:03 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to needles27

If you're getting the errors, please tell us what you are doing immediately prior to getting the errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

All sorts of things have caused these errors, but now I'm getting them simply by opening up a clip in the viewer window and hitting "I" to mark my in point. Triggers it every time.

This has rendered Premiere CS6 unusable, as you can imagine. I just tried updating both NVIDIA drivers, to no avail. Pulling out my CS5.5 discs as we speak.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to MediaOCD

@Media OCD,  I've been having fairly consistent results with resetting my PRAM,  restart while holding opt+command+p+r until the "C-chord" chimes twice and then release.  This has helped quite abit in my "serious error" crashes. Also, try deleting your Pr preference file in ~User/Library/applicationsupport/adobe/Premiere Pro/6.  Hopefully it will help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to RBemendo

Thanks RBemendo, but that didn't do anything for me.

This problem seems to have gotten progressively worse. When I first started out this project things were going OK, but they've gotten worse and worse, no matter what project file, settings or media types I'm using. I think I'll try re-installing next, but if everyone else is still having a nightmare with this issue, not sure I'm going to get very far.

My NVIDIA card is not supported by MPE, so it's all software-only. So there's nothing to turn off...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to needles27

Aaand I fixed it! I ended up uninstalling all of CS6 and reinstalling it, but the problems are gone. I wonder if the Lion 10.7.4 updater screws up something installed deeply in the system or something.

@needles27, I was getting the Serious Error dialog box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to MediaOCD

@MediaOCD,

Just to clarify, you uninstalled CS6 completely, did nothing else, then reinstalled it and the problems are gone?   Gone for how much time / testing? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix it for me. I have completely erased my hard drive and started from scratch on Lion 10.7.4 then loaded the CS6. I also experienced the problem in CS5.5 on Lion. I haven't had any problems in Snow Leopard. I provide technical support for about 40 Macs half MacPros half iMacs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to needles27

Having some "Serious Error" crashes of my own...

After using PP 5.5 for a year without any problems, then 6.0 / 6.0.1 from release until now with no problems, I am experiencing frequent "Serious Error" crashes.

I'm using a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 2.53 Ghz Intel Core i5, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (updraded from Snow Leopard when PP 6.0.1 released), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB with CUDA 4.2.10 installed and what I believe is the latest GPU driver installed (7.18.18 270.05.25f01)...

The crashes initially were occuring during a very specific scenario and only that scenario, but now I've had a few at more random times. The first series of crashes came during playback in a sequence with multiple audio and video tracks with different types of media (AVCHD, .WAV, .MP3). The sequence would playback fine, except for when I would make an edit to a clip, then modify the Volume of a single audio track within the second clip. Right when the playback head would pass over the edit point onto the clip with modified volume, PP would give me the "Serious Error" message, then crash.

I am unable to make heads or tails of the Crash Logs, but they seem to consistently mention the Audio Mixer / Renderer.

And today I have experienced 2 crashes not related to the above scenario, not during playback, but while I was working in a similar sequence with similar media.

I have been in contact with Adobe support, which has made me go through an extensive set of troubleshooting steps, and yet the problem persists. I have been able to recreate the above described playback crash under a diverse set of conditions... in a new project, in a different user account, in the root user account, with my media on both internal and external drives, after uninstalling and reinstalling PP, before and after updating CUDA, after removing 3rd party plugins...

Not sure what to do now...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to ExactImage

@ExactImage So far, so good. I haven't been able to really put it through the wringer yet (I made this discovery last night, working on something else right now), but the obvious triggers (i.e. setting an in point on a clip by bringing it up in the viewer window and hitting I) don't crash it anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to MarkL...

I just had my first Serious Error.  It happened after I duplicated a Sequence.

Not sure what to do now...

I think what we do now is wait for Adobe to acknowledge they have a problem, and get to work coming up with a fix, pronto.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

@Jim Curtis, Sorry to hear as well, you were the only person I knew that was running a MacPro with CS6 not getting this error one time or another.  Now we play the waiting game. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to RBemendo

I was hoping not to join this club. 

I was working in Pr for about four hours yesterday.  I only got the error once, after about two hours.  Pr auto-saved the project before it terminated.  I reopened my own previously saved version, and immediately did a Save As, and incremented the file name.  Then I worked without a crash for a couple more hours.  I even duplicated a couple of more sequences, but that didn't cause the error, as it had the first time.

There seems to be no pattern for some to what causes the Serious Error, and yet, there is a pattern for others.

Curiouser and curiouser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

@Jim,

There is absolutely no pattern to the errors I am seeing.  This is going to make it much harder for Adobe to both duplicate and know that it's fixed.

I've edited all day and not seen it, then I've seen it repeatedly for an hour or so, then not at all for the rest of the day.

Almost every time - I've been doing something different.   This is not a repeatable error for me, just one that hapens too often to make me comfotable.

It's yet to see asimilar problem on any of our Windows 7 systems.   This is not helping my cause when arguing for Macs

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to ExactImage

I don't think Mac is the problem.  You, yourself concluded it's not a Lion problem.  I think Pr CS6 for Mac is the problem.

And I think the number of posts here on this topic is pretty clear documentation that a problem with CS6 for Mac exists, and it's a deal-breaker.

However, having been subscribed to this forum for a year or two, it does seem clear that the Pr Windows experience is always better than the Mac experience.  One could honestly conclude that either Adobe isn't putting as much effort or manpower into making the Mac version as stable, or they just don't have as good a grasp on programming a solid NLE for Mac as do their competitors in the field.

That said, with the exception of some over-hyping CS5.5 about it's ability to deal with native footage and external monitoring, it's a pretty solid and dependable NLE at version 5.5.2 on the Mac.  I can go back to that version with no qualms about not finishing any projects or missing deadlines.  If my Serious Error experience rises to the level reported by some of you, I won't be able to say the same for CS6.  I'm having other issues as well that are deal-breakers, but that's a topic for another thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

I copied a thread I started to this thread, hoping if Adobe is reading, it might help solve our major issues...one more thing, I also installed CS6 on my MBP early 08' and have had weird audio muting problems in the whole OS after installing CS6....could this be a similar link to all of our issues????

I currently uninstalled CS6 on both my MacPro and MBP and did a reinstall on the Pro. I have since turned off the MPBE and have been getting stable playbacks and no crashes as of yesterday afternoon. I sure wish Adobe would chime in soon to let us know they are working on this ASAP!!

Hi gang,

Been working in CS6 for a little while and reading the "Serious Error" thread on this forum as well. I've been getting some more crashes than normal (by CS 5.5 standards) but not as many as others on this forum have been experiencing.

I've attached an error window that just popped up that I haven't seen in CS6 yet. Wondering what it means..I sent a bug report to Adobe just in case as well.

My project is just a test project that I've been running CS6 and myslef through, just to work out any bugs and for me to get to know the newer software. I am unable to open up this project without the attached error popping up making my sequence/project unuseable. I tried duplicating the sequence and project and the same error occurs. Below is some info.

Project is 1920x1080 29.97fps with GoPro .MP4's - 1920x1080 30fps and 848x480 120fps as elements

Mac Pro '08 - OS 10.7.4

2x3Gig quad core Intel Xeon

14G Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285

Thanks,

Pete

CS6 Error.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to EditorPete

Have you updated your audio hardware drivers?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to tclark513

tclark513 wrote:

Have you updated your audio hardware drivers?

Unless someone has specific audio hardware added to their Mac, there are no "hardware drivers" to update.  They're included with the operating system.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to EditorPete

@Eiditor Pete, I have seen this error message a lot lately.  However it usually did not cause a "serious error" crash.  It's possible they are connected however. 

@tclark513, aren't audio hardware drivers updated with the OS, if there is another way to update them I sure would be willing to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to tclark513

@tclark513

If you mean on my MacPro, I don't use my BM card for any audio processing...just the internal audio. My MBP does not need updates to its drivers since its intergrated. Thanks.

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

....However, having been subscribed to this forum for a year or two, it does seem clear that the Pr Windows experience is always better than the Mac experience.  One could honestly conclude that either Adobe isn't putting as much effort or manpower into making the Mac version as stable, or they just don't have as good a grasp on programming a solid NLE for Mac as do their competitors in the field.

OK, I'm off topic, but I couldn't resist. Jim, the same thing struck me for the shorter time I've been on the forum, so I asked Adobe point blank at their booth (NAB). The two people I spoke with (employees, but not sure their status) assured me that Adobe cares about development on the Mac. We do see GPU acceleration on the MacBook Pros with ATI cards. I can now drop multiple filters with no rendering... Still I'm a bit skeptical, this post alone makes a huge statement. In an AE workshop at NAB almost all were MacBook Pros which surprised me, in a Premiere workshop almost all were PCs, which I expected.

Maybe Adobe is caught between a rock and a hard place. All our graphic guys and photo journalists at our office are on Mac using InDesign/Photoshop/Lightroom... and most of my friends elsewhere in those roles are on Mac, but if most Premiere editors are on PC, could Adobe offer the Creative Suite without video editing software? Since BBC and CNN were beta testers for CS6 I can't help but wonder what platform they're on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Glitchdog

@ Jim Curtis,  since you have not experienced the "serious error" until just recently, can you comment on the drive space availability of you media drive.  I know it's a long shot, but I freed up some space on my media RAID and since doing that I have not had the crash in two days.  Just wondering if possibly your media drive has filled pass the point Pr can run smoothly.

Can anyone else comment on the availability of hard drive space on their media drive?  It's the only thing that's been different for me since the error has "stopped" occurring for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to RBemendo

@RBemendo

I have 3.7tb available of 6tb. 

I did mention earilier, in a post on this thread, that my audio on my MBP was acting weird....(Grayed out and unable to use). I took it to the Apple store today and they booted from their network drive with no audio issues. Once we booted from my HD the audio problem existed. They suggested reinstalling Lion, which I'm in the process of doing now. They mentioned that a software program might be triggering my audio issue... My earlier post had an attached error message, from my MacPro, with some audio problems in PrP CS6.. My MBP had CS6 on it as well, before I uninstalled it to see if that was causing my audio error..Once again, I'm wondering if the audio issue is the cause of all our Mac PrP CS6 crashing issues. Maybe, maybe not?

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to EditorPete

@EditorPete, thanks for the feedback.  I didn't suspect that was going to be the cure, but when you start seeing improvements you go though a process of what has changed on the system recently to try to identify it.  Let us know how the fresh reinstall goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Glitchdog

I'll try and get someone from Premiere Pro engineering to look at the "Serious Error" problem. I'm not experiencing this problem, so I can't speculate what the cause might be.

I'm on a MacBook Pro

NVIDIA 330M
    8GB RAM

OS X 10.6.8

I'm not going to comment on any of the off topic stuff (Less love for Mac vs. PC, etc.). You guys have some pretty wild speculations, though!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thanks Kevin...I PM'd you as well.

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thanks for posting Kevin.  Hopefully they can reproduce the error and start working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thanks Kevin for posting and your assistance. Yes, I read too many spy novels

So far in this post we have one MacBook Pro user with this problem. Yours is OK and our 17" MBP is fine so far except for one file going offline, but I was concerned reading these posts since we will soon be editing with it in a developing country with no real support available.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 i7 QC, ATI, 16 GB RAM, Model # A1297, Lion

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to RBemendo

RBemendo wrote:

@ Jim Curtis,  since you have not experienced the "serious error" until just recently, can you comment on the drive space availability of you media drive. 

I kinda' doubt that's it.  I have 2.8 TB free of a 3.5 TB partition on the project that gave me the error.  But, progress is made when we rule things out.

I worked on the same project for a couple of hours yesterday, and didn't get any serious errors.  The sync is wacky, but I addressed that in a separate post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Well its almost the weekend in my parts....so far, after uninstlling/reinstalling CS6 on my MacPro a few days ago, no weird crashes or bug reports. Did reinstalling CS6 on top of 10.7.4, instead of 10.7.4 on top of CS6 do the trick??? FYI, I also did all of my Nvidia card and Cuda driver updates prior to reinstalling CS6.

I am going to run my MBP over the weekend without CS6 installed, since my reinstall today of OS 10.7.4 seems to have gotten rid of my grayed out audio problem (see my earlier post on this thread). Then if all good on Monday, I will reinstall CS6 on top of 10.7.4 here as well. Testing away.....

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to EditorPete

By the way, I found a routine and (so-far) reliable fix for the permanently-muted audio problem, if anyone still struggles with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to genefama

I GIVE UP !!!!!

OK - I've spent way too much time crashing, restarting, rebooting, crashing, restarting/rebooting and repeat.....

CS6 on Mac is simply not stable for me on EITHER Lion or Snow Leapard, yet it works flawlessly on my Windows 7 System.  So, guess which monitor I'm going to have to sit in front of to deliver the 5 projects we have on the go?

Come Adobe...... let's get a fix for this soon please?     Feel free to add me to a beta tester's list if it helps.......

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim Curtis wrote:

I was hoping not to join this club. 

It seems I've finally(?) joined this club as well.  While working on my usual 2xAVCHD camera project, I ran into a problem where Premiere Pro couldn't play back the combined PiP'd video in the program monitor.  I'd get the 2 camera angles synced, then scale camera 2 down by 50%, flip it horizontally, and crop the bottom 1/3 off.  But PPro just couldn't play that combined video properly in the program monitor without losing sync between the 2 camera angles, or randomly play camera 2's video from different points.

Every so often, camera 2's video would become green.

There are no effects in my videos that should require CPU-based rendering, but with this particular combined video, the export required a re-render.  I can't fathom why that's the case as none of my other vids required that, and the inputs, effects, and export settings are all the same.

And finally, I started seeing the "Serious Error" dialogs.  It happened 2 or 3 times to me today.  I can't actually finish editing my second sequence because PPro has become unusable for me.  I'm actually considering re-installing CS5.5 to see if it improves my editing...

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason Van Patten wrote:

I'm actually considering re-installing CS5.5 to see if it improves my editing...

jas

For what it's worth, I re-installed CS5.5 and updated it to the latest version.  It took me 1/4 the time to edit the same project in CS5.5.1.  I guess for the time being I'll leave CS6 installed and unused until someone can figure out Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is going on here...

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 11:03 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

I'm also getting serious crashes in CS6 to the point that it is unusable (I have to reboot my ystem). It happens whenever I try to preview (in the preview window) or when I try to render the timeline (it is very choppy in the Preview window...it has never done that before which is why I'm trying to render). In the time I've owned this laptop (over a year), this is the first time I've ever seen these type of messages (being forced to reboot).

I hope we can get a resolution soon because this is MY video editing software and I need it.

Thanks.

Dave

MacBook Pro (15")

i7 - 2.3Ghz

8 GB RAM

SSD drive (256GB)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Kurrykid

Just an update for those of you thinking about reinstalling from scratch.  I just got my first "serious error" after a fresh install of OSX 10.7.4 and then installed CS6 and then updated to 6.0.1.  Granted it took 4 days before I received the error, which is pretty good. But at least for me, installing from scratch has not fixed this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to needles27

Hi,

I wanted to add my voice to the fray—I have gotten the "serious error" message multiple times and at random intervals, often in the middle of an edit doing a variety of tasks, i.e. there's no one action that I can identify causes the error to pop up. Additionally, Premiere will suddenly stop scrubbing the video, i.e. I can press the play/stop button but nothing will play. At this point I have to Force Quit Premiere, which is when the "serious error" dialog finally appears. I am on Mac 10.7.3. I strongly believe this is an audio driver issue. I am using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP connected through Firewire and when this error occurs I lose audio for a bit and have to power cycle the device. I recently updated to Mix Control 3.0 and have not had the error since.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to needles27

Switching over to "Software Only" eliminated my errors (at least during the intial testing).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points