Skip navigation
calpolyjeff
Currently Being Moderated

set pan and zoom time constraints?

Feb 2, 2012 4:54 PM

Using PE10-- Say I have a photo image that is set at an overall duration (hold time) that I want, I want to add pan and zoom effects to it with out changing the duration of the image on the timeline. Is there a way to tell Premier Elements to constrain the aggregtate pan and zoom times to not go beyond the original hold time of the image?

To clarify, I had an image that held for the correct duration, but when I was done fooling around w/pan and zoom, I found that I had extended the duration of the image so that it was now about 5 times longer than it should have been, and it pushed all my other images down the timeline. I would like to keep the duration fixed, without having to get out my calculator and stopwatch.

Thanks (just learning this...)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to calpolyjeff

Yes,

This is exactly what Keyframing Effects (Fixed, or added) over time. You have ultimate control.

The Duration of the Still Image can be left alone, and you just Keyframe the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan), and Motion>Scale (Zoom)

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to calpolyjeff

Right-click on the image and select Show Properties. This will open the Properties panel.

If you click the Show Properties icon in the upper right of the panel, it will open up a keyframing timeline that's only as long as the actual clip (5 seconds, by default for photos). If you do your keyframing here, you won't change the duration of the clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to calpolyjeff

Keyframing should have zero to do with Duration of any Clip.

I recommend following Steve's guidelines.

He also has an excellent, multi-part series on Keyframing in PrE, at Muvipix.com, but IIRC, that is a subscription series. Still, that alone would be worth a subscription to Muvipix.com.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to calpolyjeff

Like the Rolling, or Crawling Titles, Pan & Zoom are basically Presets for limited Keyframing. I never use Presets for my animation, as I have found them to be too limiting in the past. I just do it manually, so that I have 100% control. With the Rolling & Crawling Title Presets, the only way to alter the speed of those animations IS to adjust the Duration. I always have defined my Duration, so want to then control the animation, and manual Keyframes allow me to do so.

I have seen some Pan & Zoom functions, that claim to be able to define what my subject in an Image, or Video Clip is, but I have never seen one of those, that worked, in all but the most simplistic shots. I know what my subject is, and how best to concentrate on it, but then I AM a "control freak," so it's just part of my nature.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I wrote the most popular book on the program on Amazon.com, Jeff. So, yes, I've definitely used the tool. I just wasn't clear that it was what you were referring to.

In fact, there are several ways to work with keyframes and create motion paths in the program. I didn't know any of them could cause you to accidentally extend the length of your clip though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Am I correct, that you Keyframing tutorial series on Muvipix.com is via subscription only?

Again, if so, it is worth the price of a subscription, even if one were to ignore the rest of the subscription material.

TIA,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

No. There are plenty of free tutorials and articles also.

In fact, you can see a free demo of the new Pan & Zoom tool by clicking the link on the left side of this page:

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thank you. I could not remember if your great Keyframing articles were free, or subscription only.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to calpolyjeff

There is also a demonstration in the Inspiration Browser:

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to calpolyjeff

There are no stupid questions. The question got all of us to thinking, trying to come up with the best answers for you, and prompting you to explore several options. Especially with Keyframes, every second spent learning and using them, will pay dividends - trust me.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to calpolyjeff

calpolyjeff wrote:

when I was done fooling around w/pan and zoom, I found that I had extended the duration of the image so that it was now about 5 times longer than it should have been

You have to watch the Pan & Zoom tool cues in the image and the changes with the timeline as you work in the tool. As you add / move / delete your frames you will be changing the duration elements - the Hold Time and The Pan Time.

In the example below my Pan Time between frame one and frame two is sixteen seconds. You can change that by clicking the pan time and entering a duration. The other time I've highlighted is the is the one second hold time for frame two. Again you can change it by clicking it. On the timeline itself you can also see the Hold Time for frame one at the five second point.

1.png

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

You seem to know your stuff, I just upgraded to Premier Elements 10.  There used to be a simple drag and drop transition/effect for panning and zooming in or out in the old version.  This has disappeared and seems to take so long to be able to do one zoom.  I like to have a zoom on every picture I do in a movie and right now I have 200 pictures and I am seeing that this will take me forever to zoom on each one.  Am I missing something, is there any easier way to zoom??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to jules345

Presets should give you what you want:

1.png

2.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|