Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to make a "Splash Page" or "Welcome Page"

Jun 19, 2012 2:53 PM

I'm creating a website and the owner insists on having a splash page that displays before the index page. I was thinking about just making the splash page the index, but I don't think this will fly for folks as that is not the primary role of the index. How do I make a page BESIDES the index page the initial welcome page?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Torkuda1234

The only way to make a splash page is to use your index or domain name home page.  Try & talk your client out of this.  It's a real waste of precious real estate.  Splash pages don't do well on Google & other search engines.  That's why nobody uses them anymore.

There are other things you can do to spice up the domain name home page without using a Splash intro.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Torkuda1234

>but I don't think this will fly for folks as that is not the primary role of the index.

What is the primary role? The index (or default or home page) is the first page that appears when you access the site's domain. If your client wants a splash page, then that will be the index (default) page. Yes, it is a bad idea, but they are insisting.

You might try to convince them to move the splash content over to a more usefull default page. What type of content do they want on the splash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Torkuda1234

Torkuda1234 wrote:

but he wants a welcome page anyway.

Has he thought through the reasons why? It will have the opposite effect to the intended one.

The fact is that almost all visitors find Welcome or splash pages an annoyance which prevents them getting to the meat of the site quickly.

On encountering a splash screen, most people immediately hit the Back button in the browser.

His site will be one of many on the Google search results page and will be the only one with a splash screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Torkuda1234

You're right, of course. The customer _is_ king. But what you could do is to cover that front page and use CSS3 to fade it out.

http://bavotasan.com/2011/a-simple-fade-with-css3/

There is one customer who insisted on a "splash" page with me and what I did was point out his statistics. His pages inside the website simply were not loading. 97% of his traffic simply clicked elsewhere within 3 seconds (as measured by AWStats).

So I suggested to him that he try it out a different way for a whole month.

When the 97% changed to 77% in one month, he started to listen to me.

He's now a very good client and recommends me to others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Torkuda1234

Understood.

6 year old article for him to skim

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-convince-a-client-they-dont-need-a-s plash-page

I do sometimes have trouble understanding why clients come to web designers for professional services but refuse to listen to the advice given borne of much experience. It becomes clear to me that they're not really clear on why they want something.

Some clients just have old fashioned, or out-of-touch, ideas stuck in their heads that they cannot shake until they see compelling hard evidence, such as stats, to the contrary I guess. Guess that's true in ife too.

Best wishes with your project.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 3:42 AM   in reply to John Waller

A great way to increase exposure for better internet marketing is to create free splash page{spammy link removed by moderator}.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 3:28 AM   in reply to jackedmon

Forum spammer, perhaps?

---

When a Library expels a book of mine and leaves an unexpurgated Bible lying around where unprotected youth and age can get hold of it, the deep unconscious irony of it delights me and doesn’t anger me.

-Mark Twain

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to mhollis55

You could use a javascript with a cookie that shows a hidden "Welcome" modal window within your normal and indexable index.html page.

The cookie would be set to never expire and would only run the javascript the first time the visitor comes to your site. On that first visit, a <div> with all of the welcome info would be displayed (the javascript would turn the css for it from display:none to display:block) with a "continue to site" button to turn it off.

From that point on, or until the user's cookies are cleared, the welcome screen would not pop up anymore.

I made one to test, but I'm not very good with JS yet and it only works in Firefox currently.

I'm sure after a little research online you would be able to find a script to your client's liking.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Torkuda1234

Torkuda1234 wrote:

I've told him all the reasons he shouldn't have one, and frankly the guy is becoming annoyed and told me to just do it. So I told him I could. Not worth losing a project over I guess.

This is EXACTLY why he's in the business he's in an NOT a web designer. If he was, he'd most likely have starved to death by now.
    Politely remind him that the two reasons he's having you build a site are (in this order)

1. To get his business more EXPOSURE (something that a splash page will inhibit, if not defeat altogether)

2. Because you know what you're doing (more so than he).

If he's still insistent on it, then go ahead, but (what I've done) build it, get the pay for it, and then end it there. Experience has taught me, that once they get their way with one terrible idea, it's just the beginning. Next he'll be insisting that you build the entitre site into a "really neat looking" Flash container, and then you've just made it invisible to search egnines and smartphones.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points