Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 crashes using Effect > Stylize > Drop Shadow. There's a work-around

May 26, 2012 4:05 PM

Illustrator CS6 crashes when using Effect > Stylize > Drop Shadow on a regular shape e.g. rectangle created by the Ractangle Tool.

I select the shape, apply the effect and it will crash giving this warning dialog: "The operation cannot complete of an unknown error: [CANT]". Then Illustrator CS6 crashes.

This is the crash report in Windows 7 32-bit:

Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 16.0.0.682, time stamp: 0x4f6e762b

Faulting module name: MMXCore.8BX_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f44e8d6

Exception code: 0xc0000005

The crash happens about 90% of the time.

Possible work-around:

Since I experienced some strange behaviour of CS6 applications before, I experimented witn running Illustrator as an administrator (elevated privileges). When I do that, I can apply the effect without Illustrator CS6 crashing. Here I go again..elevated privileges (see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4432510) .

I have to admit, this is one of the many strange behaviours in CS6 applications that make their performance and reliability very unpredictable.

Cheers,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to d.p.middleton

That's the same error message (but an unknown module) I get when attempting to use Save For Web when running 64-bit AI CS6 as a standard user.  Running AI "As administrator" prevents that error.

64-bit Bridge CS6 fails to start at all, but the Event Log shows the faulting module as the same one you found.  Running "As administrator" also prevents this error.

This is on Win7 Home Premium x64.  I've submitted both to Adobe as bug reports.  It'll be interesting to see if this is ever fixed.

Kinda sad that the world's most expensive vector drawing program seemingly didn't have a Q&A team test it in a very basic scenario....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to photodrawken

When will you users on the Window platform learn to repair your permissions the problem when installing any software is that the permissions may not be set properly and this may be caused by the way previously installed software has changed your system.

KNow I know that with windows users it is a very unpopular premise that the permission might need to be repaired but they do from time to time and I believe unfortunately that on the Windows platform it is a manual procedure but there may be a utility that can do it for you.

You will have to do a search. Even on the Mac platform there is a utility that does it for us but still we sometimes have to do this manually.

Of course your settings folder could also be corrupt.

1. Quit Illustrator.

2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS# Settings folder.

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

When will you users on the Window platform learn to repair your permissions the problem when installing any software is that the permissions may not be set properly and this may be caused by the way previously installed software has changed your system.

Because there's no need to do a "repair permissions" thing, that being a bizarre Apple concept.  In Windows, the software installation neither "sets permissions properly" nor does previously installed software "change your system" (whatever that means).  Windows installation packages run under a special account to copy files into their proper directories without having to "change system properties".  It's all done automagically and managed by Windows, not by individual applications.

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

KNow I know that with windows users it is a very unpopular premise that the permission might need to be repaired but they do from time to time and I believe unfortunately that on the Windows platform it is a manual procedure but there may be a utility that can do it for you.

Like I said, all of that makes no sense on Windows.

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Of course your settings folder could also be corrupt.

I did rename the Prefs, and AI did re-create it, and the SFW problem I described was resolved.  Great!, I thought, until I closed AI and opened it again -- Boom!  Same problem.

The problems I described happen because software developers (and the Q&A testing teams) have an arrogant attitude -- they think "I'm the King of my computer and, by God, I'm going to run my computer as the most powerful user I can be."  So they do all their work under the elevated privileges of an administrator account, and are completely surprised and clueless when their software fails to run under a standard user account.  (Always running one's computer under the reduced privileges of a standard user account, by the way, is the recognized Best Practice for safe computing; and in these times it is now unacceptable to require elevated privileges to run an application....)

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Out of curiosity as a Mac user who doesn't speak Windows very well, I googled "windows 7 repair permissions" and found that it is in fact an issue that comes up for many people.  The major difference being that Windows doesn't appear to have a one-click solution or possibly even an app that deals with the problem.

Unless a windows savvy person pops in here to help clarify, I suggest googling to see how to repair your permissions.  As this is not an uncommon question around here, I would like to see how it is resolved, so a followup would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Jesseham

"googling" can be very misleading.

"Repairing permissions" is not something that needs to be done.  Administrators on an Active Directory domain can certainly define policies for access rights, which is the root cause of those questions you found by "googling".

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Same problem here, but when using "Save for web". Everything is fine when using CS6 as Administrator but that CANNOT be the required, I thought Windows was the last one moving away from that kind of crippled behaviour.

Deleting AIprefs "solves" the problem for the moment, but the problem returns.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to photodrawken

photodrawken wrote:

"googling" can be very misleading.

"Repairing permissions" is not something that needs to be done.  Administrators on an Active Directory domain can certainly define policies for access rights, which is the root cause of those questions you found by "googling".

Ken

This is not true we have long threadss with Window user who refuse to even consider the possibility of repairing their permissions even though it idefintiely the issue and even when experienced Window users point out that the user has no choice but to repair their permissions.

Those giving the advice an mysellf have received positive feedback of the success of Windows users who have benefitted by performing a permissions repair.

The idea that the Window user will not even consider this possibility is the problem.

It is a very unpopular problem and something that is unfortuantely some kind of mindset with Windows users.

Those you can get through this benefit the others just continue with their problems and you see them back every three months asking for a fix.

And they will still deny the possibility when other Window users inform them that it resolved the probolem for them.

I have to say I find it a little crazy that someone would not even c0onsider the possibility.

It soounds like a permissions problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Yes it's probably a permissions problem, but it's caused by CS6, not the user, and it persists even though the user "solves" it temporarily. This kind of bad architecture is simply not acceptable from the market leader and "industry standard" software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Same problem in Mac Osx Lion corei7 8gigs ram.

In fact, i already reported another problem: open illustrator > new document > profile combo switch to web > freezes.....

Im starting to to be annoyed with all this rubish, dreamweaver cs6 also have the stupid coding slow problem... i type a line, sit back and have to wait to the characters to appear slowly....

This ammount of problems are insane!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to marco_paulo

Same problem here! I've tried it all. I actually got a new video card, reinstalled 10.7.0 through 10.7.4, i've just about tried everything under the sun.

it's only illustrator that has the problem

If someone can point me in the right direction for a crash report, i'd love to share    

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to trzown-SLxMG9

Well, on Mac I acctualy solved the problem.

Repair permissions alone disnt do anything, it's the first thing to do and didn't do a damn.

So, in my case I noticed some junk from creative suite trial I unninstalled before installing cloud versions.

The steps I made to properly solve my problem.

1 uninstall every adobe thing on my Mac using uninstallers, i mean really everything, and remove preferences too.

2 using app cleaner for Mac, I Went to "others" tab and removed everything from adobe

3 using the same tool on applications tab removed also everything from adobe (loads of junk)

4 search and delete every adobe folder on your Mac that isn't yours. And then empty trash

5 run onyx automation to clean everything!

6 diskutil to repair permissions (redundant I guess)

7 Reboot

Login to creative.adobe.com and install again from there the separate apps.

Well it worked.  I think even dreamweaver  also started to type code fast again... Have to confirm that.

Questions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to marco_paulo

I have no questions but an observation if you install and uninstall trial versions and then install the actual version you are bound to need to repair your permissions and as redundant as it might seem it is sometimes simply necessary like it or not especially on the Windows platform you do not have to believe it or accept it but then you will not resolve your problems.

Emptying the font cache is important as well and reading documents such as this one would help ypu guys ubnderstand the problems you can encounter. AI CS 6 does have an issue here and there and one serious one not related to this so called issue.

Also, and you are not going to like this I think that 16 GB of memory is like what I would call the minimum amount to run a 64 bit system.

Especially if you are on the Cloud and in 64 bit the more RAM the more you cn do.

24GB or 32GB of memorry would be more like it and if you can afford it 64GB would be ideal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I did repaid the permissions and used onyx before. Fortunatly I know sem things about this.

But I find your comments on the memory interesting. Can you explain how you came to those enormous values of ram?

Message was edited by: marco_paulo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to marco_paulo

You're kidding!

AI is now 64 bit. That means it will grab as much memory as it can which means it is no longer limited to 3GB and since you are on the cloud you have other apps and just about all of them are 64 bit. So all 4you have to lookat is that 64 bit offers you more so you need more. See it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Just look at the specs for Illustrator 2GB minimum and 8 Gb of memory recommended, the could has like fifteen applications Premiere Pro can easily alone use 16GB of RAM after all we are talking about multi-processing and one of the things that Illustrator is indeed of desparately might be better support for multi-processing.

However I know from some test that I have done those situations that require lots od resources are indeeed much faster with more memory and some things not possible in 32 bit are easily accomplished with 64 bit especially if you ahve enough available RAM.

The idea that 4 or 8 GB of memory makes a computer some thing that is going to function like really fast is bit naive.

It is not just speed that 64 bvit promises it promises the ability to do more things functions and features that were not possible in the past.

Not every thing is faster because of 64 bit and not everything is fasster because of more memory but that combination allows you to work better. I assuming you know how to keep your computer conflict free.

There is nothing about that combination that will insure you will not install something that is not compatible, that's right now up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I think the reason for the disagreement is that "repairing permissions" is an extremely broad term.  It is the equivalent of "repairing a car". 

To make the matter more complicated, there are a large number of possibilities for what the permissions should be.  So even if an application set or altered permissions improperly during installation, repairing them would require knowing what they are supposed to be in the first place.  There are some tools built into Windows that can return the system to an earlier state, in case an application has altered something beyond the scope of the application itself.  (Because if it is only the application that is affected, it is usually better to remore and re-install than to go to an earlier restore point.)

But, this may not have anything to do with permissions, anyway.  I have seen an AV (Access Violation: 0xC0000005 shown as the exception code in the original post; that is the exception code when a process attempts to access memory that was not allocated to it by the memory manager) fixed by altering permissions before.  But that is rarely the original cause of the problem and is not a proper fix.  But that can make it seem like that was the source of the problem, since the problem might go away after that.

Something else I noticed that I thought was a bit odd: the version being reported for MMXCore.8BX is 0.0.0.0.  But I just looked at mine, and the file has no version information.  So I am guessing that is by-design.  That's probably fine.  A file doesn't necessarily have to have a version info in metadata.  But thought I would point that out, since I noticed it.

My recommendation: Uninstall and reinstall the application, and make sure your drivers are up to date.  If that doesn't make the problem go away, contact Adobe for support, and you will also be able to tell them that you have already made sure your drivers are up to date.  :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points