Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Jun 7, 2012 10:24 AM

Tags: #adobe #premiere #frame_rate #elements_9 #interlacing #deinterlace

Hi there,

I made this movie in Premiere Elements 9, and somebody told me it's got a distracting amount of interlacing.

http://vimeo.com/42903209

I've tried searching for information on how to deinterlace in Elements, but some of the sources I've found say that that's not what I want to do -- the problem is that my source files are 24 fps and I'm exporting in 30.

So now I'm just confused.  Anybody know what I should do?

Thank you,

-Grant

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to theabstractions

There is some interlacing.

What model of camcorder was this video shot on and what format and resolution is the video?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? Did you ensure it matched the specs of your video precisely?

Finally, how did you load the video to YouTube? It's possible you output it as an interlaced format (such as an AVI or MPEG) before loading it to the web.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to theabstractions

theabstractions wrote:

I can't even copy and paste elements from the timeline from one project to another.

The third-party clipboard organiser 'ClipMate' can paste from one project to another. But it's $35.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to theabstractions

Interlacing is really just an outdated technology. I would recommend capturing progressive footage (720p/1080p) when possible and doing the editing in a progressive project as well. If necessary adjust the output settings if interlaced video is required. In that case FPS mismatches should not cause interlacing.

Basic info here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7f95.html

theabstractions wrote:

I guess I should have been editing in DSLR 1080p, 23.976 fps?  When I start a project with those settings, import one of my original video files, and export it as MPEG, HD720p 25 (PAL), there is no interlacing.

Even when exporting as something else (720i NTSC) there should be no interlacing. Point is you where using the correct project type for editing this time around.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to theabstractions

Be careful about leaving uncovered gaps in your Video. They are fine with Audio, but can cause no end to problems if they exist in Video. The biggest problems would be a "Failure to Return Frame" error message, or just a failure to transcode.

If you are going to add Dip-to-Black, one way to address tiny gaps, if you cannot close them, would be to move all of your Video Clips up to Video Track 2, and then go to the New Icon, and create Black Video. Initially, it will be the Duration set in Edit>Preferences (5 sec. by default), but drag it to just before the first gap, then click on its Tail, and drag that to slightly beyond the last gap.

PrPro has Transparent Video from the New Icon, but unless it's been added, that is not an option in PrE. If it has been added, then do about the same thing, but you do not need to move your Video off of Video Track 1 - just drag the Transparent Video to Video Track 2, to cover the gaps.

Remember, there is a difference between Black Video and the black that you see with the gap, which is just NO Video.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to theabstractions

There are a number of noninterlaced video output options that will not give you these issues, Grant. M2t is not one of them.

In version 10, there is some perfect outputs for video for the web under Share/Computer/AVCHD. Under the preset drop-down, there are presets for YouTube and Vimeo.

DV-AVIs and M2T video are television formats. You want to output as a format that's optimized for the web, which you can do manually following these steps.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Trying to use a television video format online is nearly always going to give you interlacing artifacts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to theabstractions

As for the Export/Share options, there IS one for the old YouTube, BUT, like Vimeo, you can Export/Share to a compatible file, and then manually upload that to the sharing service.

For YouTube, this FAQ Entry might be helpful.

Usually, it is better to Export/Share to the appropriate file type/settings, and then manually upload the output file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to theabstractions

Try to Export/Share to FLV, which is the format that YouTube re-Encodes to.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to theabstractions

Grant or anyone else,

I'm trying to use ClipMate to cut and paste between projects.  Can't get it to work.  CM doesn't even show PrElements in the "application profile".  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using PrE 11 on Windows7.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to davidorthfurniture

Take a look at reply #10 here: copy with ClipMate 7.3.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers