Skip navigation
GregoryP123
Currently Being Moderated

Printing in 2-color + upgrade problems

Jun 18, 2012 8:53 AM

Tags: #photoshop #indesign #cs6 #power_tone #powertone

My company just recently upgraded systems, going from CS to CS 6, and a 10 year old mac to a new PC. Quite a leep.

The prolem is, there was a program called Creo's "PowerTone" and it was a plugin for Photoshop which took full color images and made a blended image using only 2 colors. So where the original image had dark black, the end result would be the dark red and blue on top of eachother, giving a maroon color. It would automate this process, making 3 files, which would then be used in InDesign, to print 2 plates for our press.

It appears this plugin isn't compatible with the new CS versions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where my company should go from here? Doing each image by hand would be way too time consuming.

We could also buy a version of CS which powertone supports (I think they went to cs2) and then I could print files from CS2 but still design in CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to GregoryP123

Gregory,

The difficult part may be to get a CS/CS2. It can only be bought legally if it has not been used as the basis for an upgrade (to whichever version).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to GregoryP123

Have you tried getting ahold of Creo and asking them if there is an updated version of the plugin for PC?  Then, it would just be a matter of an upgrade fee.  If they do not have it, they may have an alternate vendor you could go to.  That's where I would start...Creo.  You might try Photoshop's Duotone capabilities where you can save Duotone sets and re-use them whenever.  You could also create a script in PS to help with the automation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to GregoryP123

Take a look at...

www.publishingperfection.com

There are some PS Plug-Ins that may help you.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points