Skip navigation

Acrobat 10 won't start anymore

Jun 7, 2012 9:53 AM

Latest reply: PCTech, Mar 31, 2014 8:47 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Could you respond to my post number 34 please David?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

You are most welcome.

FYI from what I have gleened in this thread and the other thread, the issue appears to be happening on, or around, the 30th day after install leading to specualtion it has something to do with the licensing rights, possibly with respect to the end of a trail period.  I don't know if you already looked at my screenshots above in this thread.

If Adobe hasn't already looked at the issue in light of a possible 30 days after install issue, this might be a path to attempt to replicate.

Good luck to all!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to hbax450

Same problem with Acrobat 10.3.1.

Bad on me I uninstalled it.

I have MasterCollection6, but how to just reinstall Acrobat?

Assuming the Acrobat problem gets fixed.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to MeABQ

Assuming you have your installation files, just run the set-up.exe file from your CS6 original install files.

When that starts:

Click Install

Accept License Agreement

Enter serial number, click next

The Options Dialog box should come up. make sure the ONLY checked box is the Acrobat X Pro box.

Click through the install from there.

That should do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to hbax450

This just started happening here.  I carried out a full system restore (Win7 x64) uninstalled Acrobat X in Programs and Features, uninstalled it in the CS webdesign programs as well to be on the safe side.  I then rebooted my PC and proceeded to reinstall it from the downloaded CS6 setup.exe which had the Acrobat X already checked for reinstall and left the other programs unchecked.  Installation took about 5-10 minutes and it reconnected to Adobe where I was required to re-enter the suite password.

It is working now for the time being.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Jack Dervan

I'm curious if this happened around the 30 day after you installed the program?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

Funny you should say that....I installed CS6 on May 14  :/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Jack Dervan

I've been asking people this and I believe, everyone has said they are hitting this at the 30 day mark.  If you look at post 41, I've pointed this out to the Adobe Employee David.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Hei!!

Well, I did uninstall, run acrobat cleaner and installed X Pro back from CS6 MC discs.Acrobat is running fine again, but I think this is just a workaround, not the solution. I hope Acrobat team finds easier fix for this problem...

Pekka Nurmela

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to pexi100

@David

FYI, Acrobat X Pro stopped working for me about 34 days after installing CS6 MC. It was fixed by uninstalling BOTH the separate entry in Programs and Features, AND the entry in CS6 installer, and then reinstalling from CS6 installer.

Allen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to ashtangakasha

To ALL:

This thread ->http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1021632 Post #9 appears to be the quickest work around I have seen to date.  I do, however, fear we will all be back in this boat again in another 30 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2012 11:59 PM   in reply to john4243

Hi John,

Please send me the logs as mailed earlier.

-Amrita

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to hbax450

I have a new wrinkle. I had CS4 Design installed. Updated to Design Standard CS5.5, then to CS6. I was happy with the Dreamweaver CS4, so I didn't need to upgrade that module. A few days before my 30th day after installing CS6, my Acrobat Pro quit as described here previously. I deleted the cache file as descibed, and was left with the 89 year trial period. I am not particularly happy, but I can live with clicking on a button that says continue with trial...

Here's the weird part. At the same time, my Dreamweaver CS4 jumped into trial mode. It asked for a serial number, which I provided. But after each re-boot, it returns to trial mode and I have to re-enter the number.

Like many others, I am waiting on fix.

(sigh)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

David and Everyone: I was able to successfully fix this Acrobat problem on my computer using the solution discovered by Jimbo7777 and suggested by 818g and more recently by TheBitBug.  It's a fast fix, and does NOT require uninstalling/re-installing.  For convenience, here is the fix:

• Start up Photoshop (not Acrobat)
    • Help/Deactivate
    • Close Photoshop
    • Start up Photoshop or Acrobat (it is now running in trial mode)
    • Go through the activation process giving the serial number again
    • Acrobat runs fine now

COMMENTARY: I agree with Jimbo7777 and TheBitBug that this is most likely a problem that will recur every 30 days, which means you will need to do the above procedure again 30 days later (unless an Adobe fix is forthcoming before then).  It appears that Acrobat, unlike the other applications in CS6, stops working after 30 days (which is the duration of the CS6 trial period) even though the whole CS6 suite has been activated and is not in the trial period.  Hopefully, this gives Adobe enough information that they can reproduce the problem.  See also "ANOTHER NOTE THAT MAY BE RELEVANT," below.

DETAILS OF MY SITUATION, in case it is helpful: I am running 64-bit Windows 7.  I was previously using Master Suite CS5.5.  On May 14, 2012, I purchased an upgrade to the downloadable version of Master Suite CS6.  I uninstalled all Adobe applications on my computer, and then installed and activated Master Suite CS6.  It has now been 35 days since I installed CS6, and today is when I discovered that Acrobat would no longer start.  I don't think I've had any need to use Acrobat during the past 5 days, so that is probably why I am seeing this problem 35 days after installing CS6, rather than 30 days.

ALSO: This exact same problem with the Acrobat in CS6 is being discussed not only in this thread, but also in this thread and this thread of the Adobe forums.

ANOTHER NOTE THAT MAY BE RELEVANT: After installing and updating Master Suite CS6, the Acrobat icon appeared in my Windows tray some number of days later, telling me that I should let it update Acrobat to version 10.1.3 to fix some sort of issue.  I said yes, and let Acrobat update.  (I know that 10.1.3 was released back on April 10, but I guess that latest version of Acrobat didn't make it into the official Master Suite CS6 release in May.)  Anyway, I wonder if that automatic update to 10.1.3 caused this problem with Acrobat, where it (silently) refuses to run 30 days after installing CS6?

I hope this helps someone!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to Randy Forgaard

Randy,

I've got a lot out of this thread and the others on the topic.

forums.adobe.com/thread/1012839

forums.adobe.com/thread/1021632

forums.adobe.com/thread/1021670

To the best of my knowledge, the issue manifested for me 29 or 28 days after installation (14 May to 17 June, possibly 16 June).

My first reflex had been to roll my machine back to a known good image, made just after activating CS6 (and CS5). But in this case, of course, that didn't fix anything. Acrobat X still closed a fraction of a second after it was launched. (Same with Distiller, worse for me.)

On your last point--whether the 10.1.3 update is relevant. In my case I installed the 10.1.3 patch just *before* I activated CS6. That doesn't rule it out of as a culprit of course.

My assumption is that Adobe's new provision for Creative Cloud licensing (which requires "internet access"--i.e. phoning home every 30 days) was incorporated in all release products. I wonder if in Acrobat the licensing system makes the wrong judgement about whether the licence is fixed (a suite) or subscription (cloud). (As if someone omitted a "break" expression after the first condition in a switch statement.)

This is a good, respectable bug--one that only makes itself known after a certain period of time. Just the sort of thing we should expect in a new product. Completely unlike the permissions bugs elsewhere in the suite--which might make a reasonable person hang his or her head in vicarious shame.

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to tjhb

For all the users who have faced a problem where Acrobat did not launch after 30 days of serializing with a suite serial number, please execute the following workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
    2. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
    3. Click on Help->Deactivate .
    4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
    5. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
    6. Accept Eula.
    7. Register trial by signing in. Let the app launch.
    8. Quit and relaunch the app. Wait for UI to come.
    9. Click on License This Software button on the UI.
    10. Click on Sign in .
    11. Serial number screen will come
    12. Enter the serial number in the serial number screen and click Next.
    13. Quit app and relaunch the app while connected on the internet .

After this if you launch Acrobat it will launch and run forever without trouble. In case you still face a problem , try relaunching the other CS6 app once more and then launch Acrobat.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need any more help with this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

Amrita - Thank you. Your procedure fixed my Acrobat won't start problem which was becoming very frustrating. It's nice to have a forum like this that actually helps solve problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to David Kastendick

Having the same issue. It's been about 30 days. Acrobat X Pro (part of CS6 Master Collection) running on Windows 7, 64 bit. The programme just stopped opening files today, June 22nd, the programme is completely unresponsive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to Randy Forgaard

Thank Randi for you hint.

It work by me, so now work Acrobat again

I hope Adobe soon make a update or a path so it work  perfeckt in the future.

Thank´s again Randi !!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

FYI, am running Win7 64bit and to the day, Acrobat Pro X (CS6 Suite) stopped working at 30 days. Looks like a lot of solutions in this forum... Hope you can get this fixed - sure hope I don't revisit it in 30 days!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to hbax450

Had a similar problem tonight. Installed CS6 on May 12 so it was well beyond 30 days. However I did notice that I installed Lightroom 4.1 30 days ago on June 1. Not sure if there is a problem with multiple Adobe products that trigger this situation. The fix with deactivation and reactivation worked for me for now. I guess we will see if it really is permanent.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

Hi Amrita

Could you tell me how to do it on approx 50 computers at the same time?

Regards

Bartek

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

My mileage was 35 Days not 30 for Acrobat Pro X

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

Thanks, Amrita, that worked (post #55). Is Adobe going to post a patch? This is a giant headache!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to rsjaffee

Same here.

Last month and again today, this suddenly happend to me as well; Acrobat X Pro quits and will not start up again after about 30 days. There is no warning, no indication that some "trial" period has expired.

I am a customer of Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6, so there is not supposed to be a trial period for any of the Design and Web Premium applications.

Last time, I re-installed Acrobat X. This time I found Amrita's work-around, which saved me a lot of time. Many thanks.

My question to Adobe is: is this a recognised bug? I really cannot apply this work-around every other 30 days. It only happens to me in Acrobat X Pro and no other CS6 application.

Cheers,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to d.p.middleton

Hi Dave and rsjaffee,

This workaround is permanent. Acrobat will launch forever. I have tested the workaround myself!

The fix is already there on the latest build posted at https://creative.adobe.com/apps but problem is for it to work for you , you will need to reinstall your current product (say Master Collection) after you download the applet from the link so that during installation, the MC build (your old one) will pick up the latest files. The workaround is much simpler ...so I thought that would be quicker!

-Amrita

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

Amrita,

Amrita Chakrabarti wrote:

Hi Dave and rsjaffee,

This workaround is permanent. Acrobat will launch forever. I have tested the workaround myself!

The fix is already there on the latest build posted at https://creative.adobe.com/apps but problem is for it to work for you , you will need to reinstall your current product (say Master Collection) after you download the applet from the link so that during installation, the MC build (your old one) will pick up the latest files. The workaround is much simpler ...so I thought that would be quicker!

-Amrita

That seems like good news. But can you please expand on this method?

Which files/components have been updated, and how does one go about installing them, please?

I haven't noticed any documentation on how to use the Creative Cloud channel for obtaining updated installation packages.--Not any indication that packages have been updated.

Have the same files/components also been updated through the usual updates mechanism--so that desktop users on a permanent licence will be offered them by the Adobe Updater?

Best regards,

Tim Baigent

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

I have the same symptoms--CS6 was purchased & registered 30 days ago. Acrobat stopped working today (CS6 Design & Web, Win7). I stumbled on this, and made it through step 6. At this point I have deactivated CS6, accepted the EULA, and I have a window saying, "Sign In Required". When I click the sign in button, I get a spinning thing for a while. Now I have a message to "Please connect to the internet and retry". Note that I am connected (I am using the affected computer) and signed with Adobe ID within firefox.

Now, I have no Acrobat, no Photoshop, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to marktlemmon

Can you clarify if you used the method in post 66 or post 55?

I have hit the 30 day mark for the 2ND Time and was going to try the method from Amrita in post 55, but I can't be down with the rest of my MS collection if it doesn't work, so if that's the one you tried I'm putting it off for now...

Also, don't know if you want to try it or not, but somewhere back in this thread (around # 20 I think) is a post from me outlining what I did back then to get past the lock out before Amrita posted her fix.  We now know that only lasted 30 days, but maybe it will unlock your system?... try at your own risk.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to marktlemmon

Here is the thread with the solution I tried 30 days or so ago.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4493065#4493065

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Amrita Chakrabarti

@Amrita So Adobe was able to replicate the error in your tests, then apply the fix you mentioned?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

Sorry--yes, it was post 55. Thanks for the link--I'll try that route before a complete re-install after a brief waiting period to see if I get help from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

Hi David,

Bad news sorry, it's been 30 days since followed the steps above and now Acrobat has stopped working again.  Exact same issue as before, I'm starting to wish I had never upgraded...  I bought CS6 Design Standard, middle of May, after 30 days Acrobat stopped working, full uninstall/reinstall, working again, and now after another 30 days it has stopped again.  I have deadlines to make, and losing half a day doing a full reinstall every month just doesn't cut it.

What information can I give you guys to get this sorted?  I haved used Acrobat since version 1 and been a ACE since 3.0, I also have a Visual Studio 2010 (C++ 32/64) and debugging tools on my machine.

Please help us to help you get this sorted.

Thanks,

Matt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to timeshiftingnz

Timeshiftingnz -

I had the same thing happen also.  I don't know if you saw it, but on post #55 above Amrita posted a fix from adobe.  I was wary to try it after what Marktlmmon posted (post 67) happened when he tried it, but I had to get mine working so I held my breath and tried it and it got me back up and running... hopefully for good this time!

The only thing I noticed is when I did the fix I did have to be patient for a couple steps and give the system a moment to process things, but overall the whole thing probably took me five minutes.  Also, at least for me, I had to be  very careful in reading Amrita's steps so as not to accidently skip one due to the similarity of some steps.  I used Illustrator CS6 as my "other" adobe product to open each time.

Anyhow, we both got this problem around the same time and figured I'd share my experience this second time around.  Good Luck and hopefully we won't see each other posting about this again in 30 days....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

TheBitBug,

Just saw Amrita's fix just after I posted, followed an older email notification to this thread and missed some of the newer posts...  Going to try that now that fix now, hopefully it works here too!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

Confirming Amrita's fix worked on the second attempt.  On the first go step 7 kept saying please connect to the Internet (even through I was).  I used Illustrator x64 as the other product on that attempt.  Restarted and tried using Photoshop 32bit, and it worked.  So not sure if it was using a 32bit CS app or the restart that helped, but Acrobat is running again now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to timeshiftingnz

Excellent! Glad to hear you are up and running again!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:33 PM   in reply to TheBitBug

The workaround I have given is going to make AX run forever. Just to cross check that you have followed the steps correctly ...just forward your clock by 30 days  and launch acrobat a couple of times to see if its going to be fine...i assure you if you have followed the steps correctly, it will not bother you after 30 days

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to ChrisCiapala

In reply to 4.ChrisCiapata Deleting the cache worked for me too. You saved my hide today actually. Good one Chris. Cheers, Andy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to marktlemmon

FYI, I worked with Amrita over the phone and the issue was quickly resolved (hosts file had blocked access), restoring CS6 including Acrobat without a re-install.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points