I have a site I built a few years ago under Front Page. I have received comments recently that the text was gone on the pages of the site. After checking, and getting a bit familiar with Dreamweaver from CS 5.5, I was able to test the site on several browsers. What I found was that in IE 6.0, IE 7.0 and IE 8.0, the text is as it should be. However, in the more recent IE9.0, Safari 5.1, Chrome 18.0, and Firefox 11.0, the text disappears. I can attach example code if that would help. Any ideas?
A link would be better.
Without seeing your page, I'm guessing that deprecated FrontPage code and validation errors are causing display problems in modern browsers. Use the W3C code validation tools below to see where you stand.
Code Validation Tools
HTML - http://validator.w3.org/
Did you use the validation tools?
You're missing a document type declaration (DTD) on the first line. This sends browsers into Quirks Mode (confusion) because they don't know what kind of document to render.
Go to Modify > Page properties > Title/Encoding. Select a DTD that fits your current code: HTML4 Transitional.
Save. Repeat with other site pages. Did that help?
Have fixed 3 of the issues (DockType (thanks for your advice) and spaces between words (Microsoft_Theme and Microsoft_Boarder)), however, the others are beyond me at this point since they may be symptomatic of other issues.
What I see in the browsers at the Adobe BrowserLab is the same as before: Text works in IE6, 7 & 8 but not in more recent IE9, Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
I have not modified the published site since I'm trying to get a handle on the issue(s) locally first. Is that the correct approach? That's the reason I sent the attachment with the files that I had worked on.
BTW, believe this will be an interim fix. I know I'll need to redo the site at a later date so the code is cleaned up. Just need to get this one up so the organization isn't impacted.
I'm afraid we can't help you if we can't see the problem page. This forum doesn't support attached files. Open a problem page SaveAs TEST.html. & upload to your server. Give us the url. When your question is answered, you can delete TEST.html from your server.
Gosh, I'd forgotten how horrendous FrontPage code is. So what exactly on that page is not showing up? I'm seeing all the text that's there.
OK, the navigation menu is a deck chair on the Titanic. Not worth rescuing. You could replace it easily with a Spry vertical menu or even an ordinary list of text links.
If you'll look at the site www.sarunitinc.org, you will see that all that's missing is the text. The navigation, pictures, links and headings as well as background seem to be functional. I believe you on the navigation piece and I will eventually have to rebuild the site but for the immediate future will need to get the text back on line. Believe there's some incompatibility of the FrontPage coding for the newest browsers: IE9.0, Safari, Chrome, Firefox. The earlier editions of Internet Explorer (6.0, 7.0, and 8.0) are still functional and I can see the text with these. I've been using the Adobe BrowserLab to do the testing.
No document type declaration (DTD).
Nancy, did that and checked with the validator and it recognizes that the document type declarations have been added, however, still don't have the text. Sorry to be such a pest but this is fairly important.
Thanks for all you've done so far.
Nancy, have posted an interim site with one page specific info for those who need it. Will get to work on rebuilding the site when I return from travels.
Thanks for your help - was invaluable in evaluating the issue and developing a strategy.
Europe, Middle East and Africa