Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Would it be wise to also use DWCS5 in conjunction with a CMS like Drupal?

Jun 19, 2012 7:32 PM

I've been using DW for many years now... Someone recently told me about CMS software such as Drupal or Joomla, and I want to use it so I son't have to keep coding from scratch (A tedious effort when building sites is a lot of work for not a lot of money)

I don't know anything about CMS's, can a site built from them be as customized (Design, animations, etc.) as they are if you code from scratch with DW?

I have no idea...

Thanks all!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to RuesterProd

Have a look at this demo http://powercms-demo.com/

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to RuesterProd

A lot of our customers use Perch. It was developed by one of the original Dreamweaver Evangelists (Drew McLellan) and it's a neat little application. It allows you to make regiions of your site editable in CMS-fashion by simply wrapping the region with special tags. It thus enables you to make sites exactly the way you have been since you started using Dreamweaver, without any loss of creativity or control.

http://grabaperch.com/

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Altruistic Gramps wrote:

Have a look at this demo http://powercms-demo.com/

Gramps

Gramps have you got any first-hand experience with Webassists Power CMS 2? I'm debating whether to take the plunge or not.

I've been messing around with the demo, which is presuamably fairly new, as I have not encountered it before despite visiting on several ocassions when revising which CMS might be suitable. It looks like it comes with a built in application that lets you manipulate images - crop, resize, rotate - is that correct?

On a more slightly off topic query - can any CMS handle deleting and inserting table rows? I can't seem to do this successfully with Wordpress or a couple of other CMS's I've tried. What I need for the client to be able to do is insert a new table row between other table rows, is that possible with any of the regularly mentioned CMS's in this forum. Deleting only gets rid of the text but leaves the empty <td></td>?

Os

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to osgood_

@Os

It is only recently that I have started to use Webassists Power CMS 2, this latest version is excellent while prior versions had too many problems for me to be bothered about it.

With the built in file manager, it is easy to upload and download any file, be it an image or document. Cropping, rotating and resizing is no problem.

I use the editor/file manager that is included with the CMS for a mass mailing program. Here it can upload a document and place a link in the body of the email.

The editor is very strong in its creation and manipulation of tables as you can see below where I am in the process of removing Mark from my table.

_Capture.jpg

I have found it very easy to turn an existing site into a CMS site in a matter of hours, keeping the original styling. My customers are aghast when they are told that I am no longer the Webmaster and that they must now update their own site.

One such instance, where the owner of the site has no HTML knowledge, makes weekly updates of her site. See Events and Gallery here europeanwomeninbusiness.com.au

Would elaborate more if time was not a constraint

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Altruistic Gramps wrote:

@Os

It is only recently that I have started to use Webassists Power CMS 2, this latest version is excellent while prior versions had too many problems for me to be bothered about it.

With the built in file manager, it is easy to upload and download any file, be it an image or document. Cropping, rotating and resizing is no problem.

I use the editor/file manager that is included with the CMS for a mass mailing program. Here it can upload a document and place a link in the body of the email.

The editor is very strong in its creation and manipulation of tables as you can see below where I am in the process of removing Mark from my table.

_Capture.jpg

I have found it very easy to turn an existing site into a CMS site in a matter of hours, keeping the original styling. My customers are aghast when they are told that I am no longer the Webmaster and that they must now update their own site.

One such instance, where the owner of the site has no HTML knowledge, makes weekly updates of her site. See Events and Gallery here europeanwomeninbusiness.com.au

Would elaborate more if time was not a constraint

Gramps

Excellent feedback Gramps!

Didn't see the editing table feature in the demo version but that looks like exactly what I require.

I was impressed by the simple but effective image manipulation tool, which will be useful for the client.

Thanks

Os

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points