I was working in inDesign on my Mac this morning without a problem, then suddenly it started to give me several errors at once. When I tried to save my new file, it gave me error code: 0 and said "cannot save under a new name. The file (lots of numbers and letters) is damaged."
I tried resetting the preferences in the applications folder manually and it still doesn't work. I opened a new document to try to save a blank page (in case my file that was corrupted) and it gave me the same error message. I reset all the preferences by holding down CMD + option + contrl + shift immediately after launching indesign, and that didn't work either. I uninstalled CS5 completely, reinstalled everything, it worked for about 5 minutes and then started giving me the same problem.
The program is also not always exporting files properly, giving me an error message in background tasks when I try to save as either a PDF or downsave to IDML. I deleted the INDD file that I thought was causing all the problems but it is still happening.
I've spent all day trying to fix this and still have not found a solution that works. Any help you can provide is much appreciated! This is very frustrating.
Thank you in advance!
Turns out I figured out the problem, I was trying to save my INDD file into a folder that was "locked" by the previous owner, so no files could be added, modified, or removed from it. I guess when I tried to save my file in that locked folder the program went a little crazy, but as soon as I saved the file in a new folder that was not locked everything worked smoothly and all problems disappeared.
Have you seen this happen before? This is my best guess as to what could have gone wrong, it is the only thing that was different from my usual day-to-day routine. Everything else is automatically updated and I don't have any third party plug-ins or font managers.
I believe so, it kept telling me that the file was damaged whenever I tried to save. What was more strange was that it was doing the same thing to other files as well. But as soon as I started saving to the desktop and other folders everything stopped giving me error messages and corrupt file notifications. I then deleted the original brochure file and started a new one from scratch, since I had a feeling that was what was giving me all of the issues.
That's correct, I deleted the file in my frustration. Sorry about that. From what I recall it wasn't saving anywhere else though, I tried to save it on the desktop with the same file name and it would not work.
When faced with a situation like that I often recommend what is probably the scariest thing you will ever do in ID -- Pull the plug to force a crash. (Force Quit might work). The idea is that when you restart ID it will immediately open the recovery file, if it isn't damaged, and you can export that to .idml.