Skip navigation
V_Sam30
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 bugs!

Jun 20, 2012 1:16 PM

I was working in inDesign on my Mac this morning without a problem, then suddenly it started to give me several errors at once. When I tried to save my new file, it gave me error code: 0 and said "cannot save under a new name. The file (lots of numbers and letters) is damaged."

I tried resetting the preferences in the applications folder manually and it still doesn't work. I opened a new document to try to save a blank page (in case my file that was corrupted) and it gave me the same error message. I reset all the preferences by holding down CMD + option + contrl + shift immediately after launching indesign, and that didn't work either. I uninstalled CS5 completely, reinstalled everything, it worked for about 5 minutes and then started giving me the same problem.

The program is also not always exporting files properly, giving me an error message in background tasks when I try to save as either a PDF or downsave to IDML. I deleted the INDD file that I thought was causing all the problems but it is still happening.

I've spent all day trying to fix this and still have not found a solution that works. Any help you can provide is much appreciated! This is very frustrating.

Thank you in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to V_Sam30

What changes have you made to your system in the last day or so? Do you have a font manager, or other third-party plugins? Is ID patched to 7.0.4?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to V_Sam30

Well that explains why you couldn't save, but not why a file would get damaged. Was the file actually corrupted during this process?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to V_Sam30

So you no longer have the old file to see if it will open and save in some unlocked location?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to V_Sam30

When faced with a situation like that I often recommend what is probably the scariest thing you will ever do in ID -- Pull the plug to force a crash. (Force Quit might work). The idea is that when you restart ID it will immediately open the recovery file, if it isn't damaged, and you can export that to .idml.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points