Skip navigation
Interactionhero
Currently Being Moderated

Fireworks CS5 ignores my preferences on start up

Jun 19, 2012 12:38 PM

Tags: #cs5 #preferences #startup #ignores_preferences

Like the title says, it ignores the prefs on launch. (Which is a big 'ol pain in the arse as you can imagine.) There seems to be no rhyme or reason either. Every time I close the app normally, it happens.

I tried deleting the preferences and oddly enough it launched properly (are there two set of prefs?). But the next shut down starts the cycle again.

I'm running OSX Lion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to Interactionhero

I can't quite picture this: What specific preferences are being ignored?

What's perplexing is that you say the application launches properly when you delete the preferences. Deleting the preferences should result in the default preferences being restored.

To double check, perhaps I should also ask for the location of the preference files you deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Interactionhero

So, to summarize what's been happening: You open up Fireworks, move panels around the way you like them, select a keyboard shortcut set, and so on... then you quit the application. When you open Fireworks again, all those changes are gone, replaced by the default settings.

Then, if you trash your user preferences, what happens exactly? Does Fireworks open in its default panel configuration, or are you saying that it opens up with the custom panel settings, etc. that you'd previously created? 'Cause that would be really bizarre.

And what about other Adobe applications?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Interactionhero

Unfortunately, I'm no expert in this. But I'm curious whether other Adobe apps show the same problem or not, as it might help with diagnosis.

You could actually look at those Fireworks Preference files to see if your specific preferences are in fact being recorded. They're XML so they're fairly readable as code (like HTML). For instance, pick a property like "Fill Current Color" (about 8 down in the main Preferences file) and see if it matches the last fill color used in the application.

There's also the Fireworks CS5.1 Cache... I have no idea what that does.

Do you have any other versions of Fireworks installed? It shouldn't matter, but... it seems worth asking.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Interactionhero

Incidentally, I'm not used to seeing a period (.) as part of a username. I don't have enough of a tech background to know whether that could represent an actual problem in some circumstances or not, but my brain immediately says, "Hey, I wonder if that could be an issue here?" Take that observation for what it's worth.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Interactionhero

So your Preferences were being recorded properly, initially, and they remain intact even now that this problem is occuring—they're just being ignored somehow?

Also, if I understand correctly, you were able to trigger the problem by leaving Fireworks open for a long period of time. My most basic advice would be NOT to do that. Other than for the purpose of diagnosis, I don't see any advantage to leaving the application open for long stretches. The app opens pretty quickly, particularly if it's not a cold start, so I'd suggested quitting when you're done with a session of work.

But other than that... I'm thinking about that cache file again and wondering if it might play a role in this. (Like I said, I don't really know what's stored there.) I'd try closing Fireworks, remove the cache (perhaps saving it somewhere else temporarily), and then restarting. Then observe what happens. If there's no effect or it makes things worse, you could restore the cache afterwards.

I'd also try restarting the computer after something like this. Particularly if the cache thing has no effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to groove25

I kinda have the same problem: Every once in a while all my preferences appear to be reset to default. I usually notice that when I see the start window after starting Fireworks, because I have it disabled. All the preferences and the keyboard shortcuts are reset but the workspace layout is correct. I can’t exactly say when this happens because it’s happening irregularly but only after starting afresh, like in the morning when I start the computer, not when I close it an restart it the same day.

I thought it would help to lock the preference file but at the end, when closing Fireworks it would give an alert window saying that the file is read-only and can’t be overwritten, and it hangs itself up there completely. So, why is it resetting itself and how can we prevent that? This has been a pain for a long time and I’ve searched many times for a solution to this issue but without success so far. Any info is greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to Interactionhero

Was this issue ever resolved? I have had the same issue for quite awhile now. Here are the steps:

• Open Fireworks
    • Set preferences
      • Grid color
      • Grid height/width
      • Default font
      • Plugins, patterns, textures folders
      • Select Application Frame
      • Set Workspace Layout
    • Shut down after complete

When I open it back up, every single preference listed above has been reset to default.  This is a real pain in the ***! Today I just got tired of resetting everything so I'm hoping to find a fix.

I'm running OS X Mountain Lion, but this issue happened in Lion and Snow Leopard as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Interactionhero

I am in the same place and have all of the most current software for both

OS X and Fireworks CS6.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Interactionhero

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)