Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I start over?

Jun 20, 2012 5:36 AM

I am moving from Aperture to LR. I highlighted 6 Aperture folders, 2600 images, that have only raw and have not been touched. This is all I wanted to port over. I hit add and now I have 82000 images in LR that take forever to load each time I power up. I probably didn't have a proper box checked but the damage is done. I didn't use any more disc space so does this mean that I am anly referencing the files where they are in Aperture?  i am on free trial. What is the easiest way to start over and how do I prevent this from happening again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to bolsen187

bolsen187 wrote:

I am moving from Aperture to LR. I highlighted 6 Aperture folders, 2600 images, that have only raw and have not been touched. This is all I wanted to port over. I hit add and now I have 82000 images in LR that take forever to load each time I power up. I probably didn't have a proper box checked but the damage is done. I didn't use any more disc space so does this mean that I am anly referencing the files where they are in Aperture?  i am on free trial. What is the easiest way to start over and how do I prevent this from happening again.

Merely hitting ADD won't cause 82000 images to be imported unless you selected all folders. To prevent this from happening in the future, in the Import dialog box, you select only those folders that you want to import.

To start over, File->New Catalog

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to bolsen187

Yes. But where do you see the 82000?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to bolsen187

File->New Catalog leaves the old catalog with links to 82000 images, and previews for 82000 images (or as many previews as were actually generated) intact. File->New Catalog creates a new catalog for you to use, with zero photos in it, which seems to be the answer to your original question about starting over.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Lightroom didn't create any new images files. Those 82000 images exist in some directory or other on your computer. It sounds as though you merely selected your hard drive and told LR to import every image file there. As dj paige menitions, new catalog is really how you would start over. Then you can simply delete the other catalog folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to bolsen187

You can find the catalogs in Pictures>Lightroom. That is the default so they will be there unless you put them elsewhere. Just drag the catalog you don't want to the trash.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points