Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,526 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Bald Faced Solicitation for Votes :)

Jun 20, 2012 10:22 AM

I've had a feature request open for some time over on the Photoshop.com site.  It's garnered some support, but apparently not enough to be high on the developers' priority list.

Basically, I'm asking that an option be added to Camera Raw (and Lightroom) that would cause development settings to NEVER be saved in an input file, but ALWAYS in a sidecar XMP file or the central database.  Basically I'd like it to work for ALL files the way it does now for file types Camera Raw doesn't feel "comfortable" in writing back to, such as CR2s and NEFs.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/add_an_option_to _prevent_writing_back_into_input_files

If you'd like to see a configurable option that would keep the software from writing back into your original input files (e.g., .JPG, .DNG), please follow the above link and add your vote to the thread.

Thanks!

-Noel

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Basically If ACR Saves an output Image file like a jpeg image or open the conversion in Photoshop the RAW conversion setting are written to the jpeg metadata by ACR or passed to Photoshop as document metadata and Photoshop may additionally save this metadata with output image file. ACR setting are also Saved in different places depending on file types and options. If the input file is a non standard RAW file they are saved in either the ACR database or in sidecar files in the same folder as the non standard RAW file.   For Stand File types like Adobe DGN Raw, Tiff, Jpeg they are saved as metadata in the input file and become one with the original even if no output image file is saved as when you use ACR done button. Seems better then sidecar files and ACR database they can become lost an additional point of failure.  I would suggest perhaps it would be better to do away with the ACR database and ACR sidecar files in favor of keeping the latest conversion setting in all original files.  Just a thought....to bust your brain and make you think about it..

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I would suggest perhaps it would be better to do away with the ACR database and ACR sidecar files in favor of keeping the latest conversion setting in all original files.  Just a thought....to bust your brain and make you think about it..

I sincerely hope that that will never be allowed to happen: the potential for destroying an irreplaceable RAW file by over-writing, and very possibly corrupting, the original data would be immense.

Personally, I prefer to use a Central Database (backed-up  regularly in several places) rather than .xmp sidecars.

I am also fairly certain that having sidecars in the same folder as my .nefs slows Bridge down considerably and corrupts it's database rather easily as well.

That happened due to an inadvertent change in my Prefs on one occasion and Bridge became distinctly sluggish until I trashed all the .xmp files and re-converted every image that had been affected.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

I sincerely hope that that will never be allowed to happen: the potential for destroying an irreplaceable RAW file by over-writing, and very possibly corrupting, the original data would be immense.

Personally, I prefer to use a Central Database (backed-up  regularly in several places) rather than .xmp sidecars.

Then don't use LR or the Bridge they update RAW files Metadata all the time.  They do not however change RAW data or Image data they preserve the original data. A databas or sidecar file can be lost you still may have the RAW or Image file but you settings are lost. If your settings are in the Image File or RAW file you have both image and settings. If you loose the raw or image file if you dont have backup you lost the image having its RAW covcersioin settings in a sidecar file or database does you no good at all.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2012 9:12 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Its very hard to get Adobe to acknwlege they have a bug though many report bugs some of which I have verifyed are indeed bugs.  I read most bug reprted, yet  I can't recall seeing any about raw data curuption or loosing raw file because of an Adobe bugs. Still I'm no fool and keep untouched Camera files I feel these are good as  gold worth saving. You should never work on these work only on copies should you loose you work you can start over again with a new copy. You will do a better job the second time around if it an important image anyway..  I want information about the image to accumulate in my work image files. Including RAW settings.  Seldom have I needed to start over...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The late Bruce Fraser once wrote that he, personally, thought that keeping the metadata in a central database is "madness" (or he may have used "insane").  I agree with that.

For one thing, you have to remember to export the cache every single time you move or copy a file.

Honestly, I don't see the problems some see with XMP files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:26 PM   in reply to station_two

And keeping all the development data in the cache makes it a single point of failure, as opposed to sidecar files or in the file.

(I think that's what Bruce was referring to, though I heard him call many things stupid or insane :-)

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The thing  is I want applications to take advantage of the image informational data when its in a standard matadata format like EXIF, ITPC etc. in image files. Why should an applications have to know anything about some library system like LR the bridge or any other orginizer you might be using or require customised information from you about image.  Keeping image information within the image file is the best option IMO.  Application can add it and use it or provide you with optons for using the imformation in its processing that has been added to the image file from as many applications you may have used on the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 11:58 PM   in reply to JJMack

Is CameraAnn  our own Ann S back at last?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)