Skip navigation
lrand2012
Currently Being Moderated

Getting Rid of A Shadow

Jun 21, 2012 7:59 AM

Hi!  I am new to the community and a novice at using photoshop aelements (I am using version 10).  I really hope that you can help me.  I took a picture and there is a shadow around the subject. Not all the way around, mostly on one side.  I have watched tutorials and read some of the messages in the forum, but it all seems like a foreign language to me!  I will admit that I am a little intimidated!  I was wondering, if by looking at the photo, you would be willing to walk me through the step by step process to get rid of the shadow.  I would really appreciate your help.  I just tried to attach the picture by clicking on the camera icon, but it told me that it was too large. Is there another way to get it on here so you can see it?  Thank you so much!

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,853 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 21, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to lrand2012

You can upload it to Dropbox, Sendspace or similar free sites.

Then post the link.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to lrand2012

Link does not work.

Please post picture at www.pixentral.com.

Provide URL in your reply here so that we may open it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to lrand2012

One suggestion is to lighten the shadow without trying to eliminate it completely:

shadow 01.png

I used the Quick Selection tool to select the shadowed areas, and the Selection Brush tool to refine the selection.  Then Enhance...Adjust Lighting...Levels and moved the middle slider to the left to lighten the shadow area.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to lrand2012

I used the clone stamp tool to remove the shadow ;

shadow_4.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,853 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 21, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to lrand2012

I can’t do any better than Ken. This is a classic shot using flash where the subject is so close to the wall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to 99jon

I see that I forgot to lighten the shadow on the balloon behind the woman's head, as well as on the balloons behind the man's head....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to lrand2012

Here is a tip when using the Clone tool:

1. Use the Magic Wand to select the shadow. Here I selected the top portion:

sshot-1.jpg

2. Now you can use a large clone size and clone over the selection. The selection edges protect you from cloning over the girl. Here you can see the clone size I used.

sshot-2.jpg

3. Deselect the selection. Depending on the accuracy of the Magic Wand there may be some excess shadow, as there was here. Clone over these.

sshot-3.jpg

The shadow on the star at the bottom was a bit trickier. Here is the result after the Magic Wand selection and cloning. We want to eliminate the cloned portion over the star.

sshot-10.jpg

I selected the left corner of the star using the Rectangular Marquee.

sshot-11.jpg

I copied this selection to a new layer, rotated the layer horizontally, and used the Move tool to position it over star's right corner:

sshot-12.jpg

Finally I added a blank layer at the top and created a snapshot of all the layers: Alt-Shift-Ctrl-E.

Then applied a levels adjustment to brighten the picture a bit. I noticed there were some hard edges and jaggies on the girls' hair from the selection in step 1, so I used the Blur tool to soften these. Here is the final result. 

I uploaded it to http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1bB3w0MuHpu9xAKQwe54ex28Z9gI Jf where you can fetch it.

sshot-9.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Mark Sand

Mark,

That's a good tip about using a selection to limit the targetted area of the Clone tool.  That technique can also be used with the Spot Healing Brush in its "Content Aware" mode to help reduce the amount of streaking, etc.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,853 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 12, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to lrand2012

You could use the smart brush to change one or more colors.

coupleimage_png.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to lrand2012

Many possibilities.

206870_310_462_cache_2.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)