Skip navigation
EzraP SJM
Currently Being Moderated

Linking to a PDF File

Jun 20, 2012 4:06 PM

Tags: #pdf #html #dps #indesign #hyperlink #resources

I'm creating an ePub with the latest update of DPS and InDesign 5.5. I have a button that I want to link to an actual PDF file within the same root folder of my InDesign files but I'm having trouble making it work. I'm using the HTMLResource.zip approach. I'm using the Go to URL on the buttons panel with "HTMLResources/article.pdf" on the URL field but it launches the viewer for the PDF blank. It's not trying to load the file at all. The pop-up window is just blank. I've also tried making a Hyperlink with a direct path to the file itself along with the button but that also doesn't work. By the way, the PDF file is less than 1MB in size. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,634 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 20, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to EzraP SJM

Are you creating an ePub or a DPS folio? If you're really creating an ePub, the DPS features such as HTMLResources have no effect.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi

I am creating an ad that will be placed as a page in an digital mag. within the ad I would like to have a movie (which I have figured out how to do).

I also want to have a button when clicked should dwnload a pdf file. Is this at all possible and if so what are the steps

where must the downloadable pdf file be hosted_ how do I create a .folio file which can be uploaded and viewed on my iPad with all interactions working.

I hope I am making sense. or am I asking for to much. all I want to do is show the client how this all looks on the iPad.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,634 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 21, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to suresh matadin

You can't download a PDF file on the iPad, but you can display one in the in-app browser. There are instructions for doing this in the Effects issue of the free DPS Tips app.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob

Now how do I view the .folio file on my iPad. This was created in inDesignCS5 on my desktop

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,634 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jun 21, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to suresh matadin

I think you need to take a few minutes to understand the basics of DPS. Here's a starting point:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f6017 4dc2eb12f2ca67c28-8000.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points