Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export Illustrator CS5.1 to PSD: flattens layers

Jun 20, 2012 2:49 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #mac #cs5.5 #export #layers #cs5.1

Why can I not export layers to Photoshop? I need the text editable, too. Working in a multilayered .ai.

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Moved to Illustrator forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Your AI file probably contains transparency on a layer above the bottom one. When exporting to PSD all the transparency gets rendered into one layer. You might do better by using some registration marks, exporting each layer seperately and re-assembling in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Any special effects on the text layers?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to jarnot9

Can you post a screen capture with the Appearance panel open showing the text layers?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Try pulling the Group shown above the text to below the text. It looks like there is a transparency of blur appled to that group. You may have to fake the text wrap by adjusting the text frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Open that sublayer so we can see what the group consists of (image with what)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to jarnot9

Larrry

jarnot9 has a text wrap so that is the way it has to be but what they can do if that is causing the problem is remove the tex wrap and do it the old fashionb way which is a manually layout the text to look like it is wrapped. theat is one frame for the text to the right of  the linked image and another one below the image and the first text frame they can then link the frames and copy and paste the text into the first text frame and let if flow into the second one or if they prefer simply not link the text frames.

In this case two frames are better than one, perhaps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Another thought is that the the Illustrator document might be cmyk and what ciolor space is the exported .psd?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Oh wait a second the clipping path is not necessary and the image is not linked it is embedded hence the clipping path I think maybe it was copied and then pasted the clipping path can go. I think that will solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Well that looks like it is pretty much broken unless som4eone else has a solution other than copy and paste.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Ohj I haave the answer now. You are not going to like this one if you are using text frames in Illustrator they are going to rasterized when exported to .psd.

If you hoever use point type and manu8ally break each line then it will export to .psd as live text.

Screen Shot 2012-06-21 at 9.21.13 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

And it could be that the linked image is a transparent PSD or PNG file which will force the rasterizing of everything below it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

A textframe shouldn't be a problem.

Is something set to overprint?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to jarnot9

I've been plowing through erroneous solutions for months now and I found a workaround, albeit a very limited one: If you happen to own Fireworks, this may do the trick:

*Open Fireworks and open the .AI file. Notice Fireworks will convert big groups to a rasterized image, so you may want to ungroup as much as you can.

*Save as a .psd file. Fireworks will do its best to convert the shapes to shape layers, and you'll find a .psd file with text and shape layer functioning and intact.

Please let me know if this works for you, and tell others if it does. For your amusement, here are some things that baffle me everyday:

*Illustrator and Photoshop have been in the same suite for years, yet exporting any slightly complex file as an editable vector file is virtually impossible. In effect, you can work with illustrator for your amusement, just don't expect to be able to deliver the file every client will ask you for.

*In Photoshop you can now apply a stroke to a path, stolen from the stroke feature in flash, yet this is somehow completely separated from the layer style stroke.

*Photoshop is still lacking any kind of asset library, so you have to manually open and drag any single object you intend to use over multiple files.

All these may be very personal nuisances, but it struck me how every time one of these subjects is brought up people start bringing in all kinds of completely unrelated topics and users are left stranded because there is no solution to the things that ought to have been fixed ages ago.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points