Skip navigation
jarlabs
Currently Being Moderated

How to Snap

Jun 19, 2012 9:38 AM

Hi everyone,

I am newbie here.

Can someone please tell me how to snap such as the attached image?

Please notify me by email when there is a reply.

Thank you

Jarlabs

http://s11.postimage.org/eznfpmu83/Adobe_Illustrator.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to jarlabs

From your screen shot, looks like you want to know how to distort a transformation not snap.

1. Select your object to transform
    2. Select the Free transform tool
    3. Begin to drag the bottom right handle, keep holding down the mouse button
    4. Add shift to constrain angle of drag to interval of 45°, add CMD(or CTRL on PC) key to free transform that corner only
    5. pull then release mouse button when ready

Screen shot 2012-06-19 at 12.21.41 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to jarlabs

Turn the smart guides on (Ctrl + U) and refer to the image below. In the last step, after you start dragging with the Free Transform tool (E) the lower right point of the transform box, hold Ctrl to engage the free transform.

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to jarlabs

From the View menu make sure the Smart Guides are checked.

With the Selection tools (black  pointer) click anywhere on the ellipse and try to position it as shown in the first step from my previous message. Drop the ellipse when the Smart Guides say  "intersect" as shown in the image.

Click and drag the bottom left point of the transform box of the ellipse  to the cursor position  shown in the second step. Drop it when the Smart Guides say "anchor"

Pick the Free Transform tool (as shown in the image below), click and drag the bottom right point of the transform box of the ellipse to the cursor position  shown in the third step. Hold Ctrl key before (while) dropping and make sure the Smart Guides say "anchor"

http://digitalartanddesign.org/assets/illustrator/images/free-transform.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to jarlabs

my instructions were valid for the shapes and scenario shown in the image in your original post. Did you try that?  Your last post shows that you are doing something quite different. In this case you can't use the same steps and approach.

Also when using the Free Transform tool you don't release the Ctrl button before releasing the mouse button if you want to retain the free transformation.

For your last case, I would put a box fitting around the ellipse and manipulate them together using the box as a guide for the Free Transform tool. Snapping is not possible in this case but with a few adjustments you can reshape the box and the containing ellipse to fit in the target shape.

Another way is to use Envelope distorted made with a Mesh but while this can give you precise snapping of the corners of the box to the corners of the target shape, the ellipse itself will be reshaped by the length of the handles which takes more manual adjustments and subjective shape decision to make the deformation. For this reason I would use the first method.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to jarlabs

Free Transform tool.... click a handle, THEN hold down CTRL, THEN move the handle. You have to do it in that specific order for it to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Scott, in post #6 jarlabs shows in the images that there is no problem with engaging the free transformation but with retaining it when releasing the mouse.

Jarlabs, I'm running out of ideas how to help, it works fine here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to jarlabs

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to emil emil

Missed that.

If things "snap back to position" when trying to free transform it means one of two things....

1) You're trying to free transform a raster image. You can't.

2) You're trying to free transform Live Type. You can't.

In either case.. do this.....

First select the image or the live type with the Selection Tool.

Choose Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh.

Insert 1 row and 1 column and click OK.

Now you can use the Free Transform Tool on the envelope (which contains the raster image or the live type)

You can edit the contents later if needed via Object > Envelope Distort > Edit Contents.

Also, reviewing post #6 it appears that the standard bounding box is being used, not hte Free Transform tool. Be certain you are using the Free Trnasform tool (hit e on the keyboard)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to jarlabs

This is what it looks like when I use the Free Transform Tool and holding the ctrl button....And this is what it looks like when I release the ctrl button:

You have to release things in the correct order, too.

1. Mousedown on the corner you want to move.
    2. Press and hold Ctrl.
    3. Move it.
    4. Release tthe mouse button, then release the key.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to jarlabs

Try this...   Go to the View Menu and look for Hide Bounding Box. If it's there, click on that line so it says Show Bounding Box. Go back to your file and select your object. There should be no corner or side adjusting boxes visible, just the small anchor points. Hit the e-key on your keyboard. A new set of selection boxes should appear. Then follow JET's instructions above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to jarlabs

To us it looks like you are toying with us.

What exactly are you doing? Please describe every single step.

what exactly are you expecting to achieve?

What exactly does not work?

Can you post a screenshot of your results?

and have you thought about taking classes to learn this stuff?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to jarlabs

No, we're trying to help but without seeing what you have and what you are doing we are shooting blind. What don't you understand about the tutorial you referenced or did you try the one that Monica suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to jarlabs

jarlabs wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am newbie here.

you've been given plenty of help here...if you can't follow, as a newbie, you should try to walk before you attempt to run. Start by reading the help files, you need to put some effort if you want to learn.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to jarlabs

Try Lynda.com. Plenty of Illustrator online courses there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to jarlabs

hahaha, ok try this underground site, only known to hardcore illustrator users, and of course free of charge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGRz7mPhv7Q

...anything else? coffe? ice cream?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points