Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to get the original font version?

Jun 21, 2012 8:57 AM

Hi everydody,

How can I get the original font version used in InDesign? Actually I can use the InDesign XMP data to have the last font version used but not the original one.

InDesign seems to keep that somewhere because if I use a different font version when I open a document and I go to type --> Find Fonts... and click "More Info", I can see "Version: 001.001 (Created with - 001.002)".

I'm looking to do a script that will compare font version between fonts  availlable to InDesign and Fonts  needed by the document. Actually InDesign don't warn about this on open.

Javacript or applescript.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Transcon Guy

var font = app.fonts[0];

alert("Name: " + font.name + "\rVersion: " + font.version);

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Try comparing app.fonts to doc.fonts...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Transcon Guy

Do you get the same thing using Document.fonts.item() as Application.fonts.item()?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Transcon Guy

The Font object in Javascript has some peculiar properties. If the font is installed on your system, you can use it to inquire full name, path, version, etc. But if it's not installed (showing the "font missing" dialog), you cannot access it in any way through Javascript. You can sort of 'see' it with Document Fonts but you can't ask what version it ought to be.

Anyway, if you do have that same font but you might have another version, you cannot check the "original" version number either. "The" version number of a font is always the one in your system.

Any idea? It should have a way to get the original font version if InDesign can remember it...

InDesign can, because the original version number is stored in the .indd file, but this information is not exposed to the scripting engine.

(Bah! I just exported a test file to .idml, unpacked it, checked the file Resources/Fonts.XML and ... it contains the version numbers from the InDesign file, not the 'originals'. There goes another idea.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points