Skip navigation
ibsimonova77
Currently Being Moderated

Error message: "This document contains photoshop data which appears to be damaged."

Jun 14, 2012 5:59 AM

Tags: #photoshop #error_message #document_damaged #file_recovery

I saved the file I was working on by choosing "Save" from the "File" menu. Unfortunately after 10 min as I saved my work  my PC had "issues" and needed to be manually shut off. I was trying to open the psd file after restarting my computer and I get this error message: "This document contains photoshop data which appears to be damaged. Continue and ignore the photoshop data?" I clicked okay and then I get just a black screen. No Layers or any pictures.

I have tried to preview in Graphic Converter, in Illustrator, in ACDSee, etc... Nothing... I just get a black screen. Also, I have tried file recovery programs: Stellar Phoenix PSD Repair V1.0 and Advanced PSD Repair v1.4

The program Stellar Phoenix PSD Repair V1.0 was able to recover only BMP picture 3.4 KB, it is so tiny that you can't see anything on the picture.

I also have tried to install plugin "psdrecover", for Adobe Photoshop. Unsuccessfully for some reason. The plugin does not want to be installed into the "plugins" folder. I did follow the instructions.

I am using Photoshop 6 version and Windows 7 operating System.

I am in dire need of help. I've been working on it for days. Is there any way to recover that file back?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to ibsimonova77

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're likely out of luck.  We almost never hear of anyone recovering image data from a damaged PSD.

Some thoughts:

1.  Set up backups.

2.  Get in the habit of saving your master file in several different locations as you work on it.

3.  Consider upgrading to Photoshop CS6, which auto-saves your work in the background.  I'm not sure whether it would have recovered the data in your particular case, but it's possible.

4.  Don't feel bad - go back and do the image again, and I'll bet it comes out even better in less time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points