Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Document Printing/Exporting Offset

Jun 21, 2012 1:26 AM

Not too long ago I upgraded from CS 4 to 5.5.  I haven't done much printing until now. 

I'm finding everything in InDesign that I print or export to PDF is offset by 1/8 inch to the left, leaving a wider margin on the right.  (As a PDF, this error becomes visible onscreen.)   I have checked every setting I can think of and everything looks correct.

I did some tests to be sure it wasn't a driver or printer problem by drawing boxes in Pages and Word.  They print flawlessly. 

Could there be something new in 5.5 that I'm unaware of causing this?

Thanks,

Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to TheTSArt12

This has to be something in your settings, and it sounds to me like it could be that you have a bleed specified for the right side, but not the left, and are including the bleed in the output.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to TheTSArt12

OK, then the first guess was wrong.

Waht is the document size in Document setup? What's the size of the paper in the printer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to TheTSArt12

It probably isn't related, but what's the printer?

Nothing in the "offset" fields inthe print dilaog, right?

I'm going to suggest that you try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to TheTSArt12

Yes, you set the units in the prefs. Do it with no files open to make it the default. For existing files that are using the wrong units, right-click a ruler, or the box where the rulers meet, and reset them there.

Is this showing up on screen with the PDF, or only in print? I asked about the printer because some printers, especially older inkjets, have uneven non-printing margins. It can help to set the page position to Centered inthe ID print dialog, but you have to actually turn off centering in Acrobat, though if your printer is one of those with uneven margins, the "rotate and fit to printable area" might account for the shift if it occurs only in prints, and a 1/16" difference is actually well within the tolerance of most printers even if the non-printing area is symmetrical.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to TheTSArt12

I'm stumped...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to TheTSArt12

would you be interested in sending me a test file to see if it misbehaves here, too?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to TheTSArt12

I'll send you an upload link by Private Message..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to TheTSArt12

I got your files. You probably don't want to know that it works perfectly here with all the export settings I've tried.

There's something strange going on on your end. Any third-party plugins installed? Font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Was this a clean install of ID, or did you try to migrate the app from an earlier version of the OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to TheTSArt12

We've tried the easy stuff. I guess the next step is uninstall, run the clean tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to TheTSArt12

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers