Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where can I find the CS6 pdf Help Guide

May 10, 2012 9:17 AM

It does not appear to be included with the Installer. I searched Adobe's site but found no reference to it. Anyone know how to locate it?

Thanks & regards, Murray

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to mistermonday

Why not just use the online help accessed by clicking on Help>online PS Help, =F1 key?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to mistermonday

HI, Murray,

The Photoshop CS6 help PDF is not available yet.  We expect to deliver it in June.

Kirsti

Adobe Community Help & Learning team

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to mistermonday

Hi, Murray,

Thanks for the suggestions--I'll follow up on them!  While we may not be able to get a change in the install folder, we can update the Read Me.  And I'll post an update to Customer Support right now.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

I still can’t find the Help as pdf.

Could you please be so kind to let us know when it’s online?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

How will we know when the Photoshop CS6 help PDF is available?  i'm a first-time use & would really appreciate it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Bob Gates

nice short cut! 

but the on-line help isn't index-oriented.

and the search function doesn't work like an index.

vids are great, but don't allow for point-specific access like a well-indexed help file.

can't wait for the PDF.

hate not being able to download a user guide.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to mistermonday

Three-quarters of the way through June and the PDF has still not been posted.

This is really not acceptable.

Why can't Adobe just upload their most recent version of the PDF as a "Work-in-Progress" preliminary (with a clearly displayed notice that it is still incomplete and may contain errors) so that we at least have that while the editorial team continue to argue over its finer points and possible grammatical errors?

Why not post the PDF as a Public Beta and enable the User-base to help you refine the final version?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 21, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

I would say its as acceptable as your math. Today in june 21 june has 30 days 21/30=.7 which is 70% not 75%. which is what Three-quarters is...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to JJMack

There's a pedant in every forum

The main issue here seems to be: why isn't the Help file available on the same day that the software ships?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

CameraAnn wrote:

I would say its as acceptable as your math. Today in june 21 june has 30 days 21/30=.7 which is 70% not 75%. which is what Three-quarters is...

I will set my callendar to re-post this at midnight tomorrow so that the callendar conforms with my original statement!

Happy now?

However, a PDF Public beta could provide Adobe with some very helpful and useful feedback?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,874 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 21, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to mistermonday

We will hopefully get a heads up from one of the moderators.  That was certainly the case when each new CS6 Sneak Peak was released.   I have been looking out for decennt online CS6 pdf files, but nothing available yet.  The only book I have ordered 'How to Cheat at Photoshop CS6' by Steve Caplin, is not due out until July 26th, although Steve says it was finished a while ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

There are several books on Photoshop CS6 available already, including the official "Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book" by the Adobe Creative Team published by Adobe Press, Photoshop CS6 for Dummies, etc.

CLICK HERE for a list of titles availanle at the Amazon.com "Adobe Store".

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 21, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

The main issue here seems to be: why isn't the Help file available on the same day that the software ships?

I would guess that some deadline was set by some high up manager that carved it in stone when that date arrived Adobe ships what they had even though it was not ready for prime time.  CS6 shipped with Bugs, no help and the deadline was hit.  So was Adobe customers.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 21, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to CameraAnn

CameraAnn wrote:

Happy now?

No I'm not Happy with CS6 at all. Help files will not fix any bugs in CS6, there are many.  I will only be happy if Adobe fixes the bugs most users don't read the Help anyway.  If you consider no Help Files a bug I would not fault Adobe if the classify the bug to be low impact and defer help to some future release of Photoshop as the often seem to do with reported bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to JJMack

This isn't good. I was accepted to take the Photoshop CS6 ACE certification exam which must be taken between July 2nd and 13th. I scheduled my exam for the 13th, and came on here tonight to download the Help PDF. I thought for sure the PDF would be done by now. Online is usable at times, but studying in and around my schedule facilitates a PDF on my iSomething. Rats. I thought Help would be ready by now. In the quasi-immortal words of Porky Pig, "Ohhhhhh FIDDLEsticks!".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:12 PM   in reply to mistermonday

mistermonday wrote:

Adobe said June. By my calendar that leaves another 9 days.

They have less than 48 hours left to avoid the epithet "liars"; they're already stuck with lazy, irresponsible procrastinators regardless.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to station_two

Station_two, that is a bit harsh!

Kirsti Aro stated:

We expect to deliver it in June.

That does not sound like a definitive announcement to me.

Not that I am not also disappointed about this seeming change of practices … 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Station_two, that is a bit harsh!…

Oh, it was meant to be.  They actually deserve harsher words than the ones I used. 

There's just no excuse for this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to station_two

Back when the program still came with a handbook Adobe obviously managed delivering program and documentation at the same time but … the times they are a-changing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Quatsch! "Times" don't change, human organizations deteriorate through bad management practices.  Those in charge have caused the Adobe bureaucracy to bloat out of control.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 12:15 AM   in reply to station_two

Are you doubting Bob Dylan’s words?

Certainly management decisions are at work here (as with the upgrade policy changes, cloud licensing etc.) and their wisdom often seems dubious indeed.

But the term »liar« should nonetheless be used judiciously.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,874 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 29, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/cs6-help-pdf-available-june. html

We fast running out of June.  Are we sure then meant this year?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

…Are we sure then meant this year?

Rats!  Now you're providing them with a way out. 

Regardless of what they may or may not have meant, it's unconscionable of them to ship a major release without thorough documentation.             

turkey-1995.gifturkey-1995.gifturkey-1995.gifturkey-1995.gif turkey-1995.gif

Click on any of the turkeys.  You'll see more action there than the Adobe documentation group has shown in years.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to station_two

In this topic I have to agree with station_two and others disappointed with the readiness of the product at release time.

• There are major "show stopper" level bugs in the code.
    • The documentation wasn't / still isn't ready.
    • Adobe's web software (e.g., this forum) is continually in a state of alpha quality.
    • Customer support regularly fibs to callers and sends them here for free help.

Even though there was a public beta, the things reported during the beta weren't fixed in the release.  Even though at one time products weren't released without a paper manual (think about the lead time for that), today they're released without even an electronic one.  EVEN WITH consideration that this is cutting-edge software people sense a reduction in value.

Times are a changin' but let's think about this for a moment...  How many other pieces of software cost this much?

We have a right to expect better from Adobe.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to station_two

I would much rather Adobe fix some of the bugs in CS6 no one reads the help anyway. There seems to be so many bugs is CS6  I don't use it. CS3 is a much better choice still I would like to see Adobe deliver a usable new Photoshop so I can use an updated ACR.  I wish the Adobe would revert back to doing system and regression testing and not just release beta code to have their users do the testing.  Programmers that design and code Photoshop are much more capable if only Adobe management would allow then to do it.  I believe its a Management problem.   They seem to be tasking Adobe programmers to do new rather then deliver a product that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I would much rather Adobe fix some of the bugs in CS6 no one reads the help anyway…

It's utterly preposterous even to suggest it is an "either or" situation.  The bugs should have been fixed and the Help files ready by the release date.  Nothing else is remotely acceptable.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I believe its a Management problem.

I agree, though I'd say it's a management AND process problem.  Things like releasing software without ever having taken any of the public beta bug reports into account can be attributed to process issues, though it's certainly management that sets policy for how their business processes are run.

The difference between folks who consider the current version unacceptable vs. acceptable with irritations is whether one of the bugs falls squarely in front of them when they do their normal Photoshop work.  A person that does designs with a lot of text, for example, may find that the text layer corruption bug is particularly nasty and deem Photoshop unusable because of it causing lost work.  Another who just touches up photos might not feel the same way.

I happen to fall in the latter category, and I find Photoshop CS6 13.0.0 usable with a few minor quirks, and it actually is more stable (for me) than its predecessor, so that is good.  But I know that sooner or later I'll need to do a design with text, and I'll probably not think to go back and fire up Photoshop CS5 to do it.  I only hope that I don't run afoul of the bug, or that 13.0.1 is out with a fix by then.

Like you, JJ, I found that there are bugs in running existing actions.  Fortunately, for the most part they don't affect my own commercial actions, but why did it get released with such bugs?  We reported the actions problems during beta, and in some cases even several major versions ago!!!  And now, if people come to rely on the changed (errant) behavior, and the bugs get fixed, then new actions could be broken.  It's not an acceptable situation!

That it's useful to some people - even if it's a majority of people - really still doesn't justify releasing the product in an unready state.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 29, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to station_two

We do not live in your perfect world.  Having both would be ideal having neither and having to pay for it should be illegal.  Its a far from perfect place this third rock from the sun.  Yes I'm willing to settle for less give me a working product please. In my opinion Adobe stole $200+ from me for CS5 and now an other $200+ for CS6.   I can at least use CS5. CS6 fails all over the place how could Adobe justify it release as a product?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to JJMack

No offense meant, but, regretfully, I cannot remotely relate to someone as undemanding as what you describe.  My standards are higher.  Perhaps there are enough folks who are content with such mediocrity as you envision and Adobe figures those individuals constitute a large enough market for them to get away with such a shoddy performance.  By putting up with that, you are encouraging the very poor quality you seem to be describing.  That's a head scratcher for me…  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to station_two

Here are links to the documents for all CS6 applications, in both PDF and HTML format:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd,

Thank you for those links.

Appreciated,

Hunt

PS - why are you not sitting in that beach chair with a tall, cool drink?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 30, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Made it with moments to spare!  Yes, thanks for the link, Todd.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Amen!! Thank you Todd! I'm scheduled for the PS CS6 Beta exam in 13 days and needed offline access for studying.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 30, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Here are links to the documents for all CS6 applications, in both PDF and HTML format:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

Now please fix Photoshop CS6 to work as now documentated.  I beleive that  link is http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/photoshop_reference.pdf

Also the PDF Photoshop documentation need to updated for at least CS6 automation. Right not it only documents CS5 locations and does not note that one needs to download optional things from the Adobe's site to get things that use to be installed by Adpbe's Photoshop installer like Scripting documentation, Script samples and the CS6 Scriptlistener Plugin.  In other words thanks for old documentation when will CS6 documentation be up to date...

Here is a link to the download needed for scripoting CS6 http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-cs61.html#id_68 969

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points