Skip navigation
KimPflaum
Currently Being Moderated

'open recent file' not working

Jun 20, 2012 2:20 PM

Hi, I've just started a new job, and I'm on a PC with CS6. (I'm used to Mac, CS5)

I can't seem to get 'open recent file' to work in any of my CS6 programes It is always greyed out and never remembers what I've last done.

Does it have something to do with the files being stored on a passworded server?

Thanks!

-Kim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to KimPflaum

But it does show as a menu item?

I have a feeling this is probably a registry setting set to delete the recent files list. This used to be part of the 'paranoia' settings in the TweakUI power toys from Microsoft, but those were just user-friendly ways to access the settings, so they could be set manually, or possibly by a group policy. Do you have an IT department, or someone who handles configuration and software installation at this job? I'd take it up with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to KimPflaum

If it's a windows setting, I'm afraid I have no idea where to look. Best I can offer is to rry trashing the prefs: Replace Your Preferences or to try an uninstall/reinstall (and I'd run the clean tool, if you are going to do that: CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to KimPflaum

This isn't a cure for ID, but a workaround that might serve until you can fix the problem.  In Windows 7, when a program is running it's icon appears in the Taskbar, which usually is at the lower left.  When I right-click on the IDCS4 icon, I get a list of recent files that differs only slightly from those available from ID's Files/Open Recent.  Look here for a more details on Win7 Jumplists.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to David W. Goodrich

Interesting. If you have only one version of ID that might be pretty useful. I go back to CS3 on this box, and the recent list shows the most recent files opened in all of the versions, not just the one whose icon I choose, so I get a mix of files from CS3 to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I don't think this is actually relevant (I didn't see any change in ID when I turned off Windows' own recent list) but I found this article: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2013-recent-items-turn-off.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It isn't relevant at all if the OP doesn't have Win7, which may well be the case.  However, Kim asked for "any pointers," so I offered a temporary workaround that might let her approximate her usual work habits.

In fact, I suspect the "passworded server" she mentions might be more to the point.  Problems with working on server files are not infrequent on these forums.  Those with sufficient expertise can resolve them, but I find it simpler to work on local files.

Sometimes it is necessary to use the CS Cleaner Tool and re-install, but that's a step I'd sooner avoid, especially under the gun.  When I must do it, I now do a "desktop install," having been burned by un-reported read errors when installing from Creative Suite DVDs.

Peter: Your link discusses Windows Start Menu's "Recent Items," which I believe aren't the same as Jumplists.  But the Start Menu's Recent Items might also serve Kim's purpose in versions of Windows before 7, or perhaps she could add folders or files she uses frequently to the Start Menu's Favorites.

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points