Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

About to Switch from Mac to PC: Tell Me I'm Not Crazy!

Jun 21, 2012 8:25 AM

Well, after 17 years of being a loyal mac owner I'm about to pull the trigger on buying parts to build a pc workstation. I've used pc's for onsite jobs before and have fielded some pc tech support questions from independent clients, but I've never actually owned a PC based box myself. I'm moving from web and print design into video and motion graphics and can no longer stomach Apple's allowing the Mac Pro to linger in purgatory, so I need to make the switch.

I'm hoping for some words of encouragement and advice from those who've worked on both platforms. I'm assuming that from a hardware and upgradeability standpoint I'm making the right decision. The OS will be a hard thing to get used to, but I've heard like anything it just takes time.

I've also heard a lot of people say that performance is just better for rendering from programs like cinema 4d and maya. Is there truth to this? My primary apps will be AE, PR, C4D, PS, AI, some Flash, and possibly some Nuke. I also use audio apps like Ableton, and althought I've been a logic user for over a decade, ableton has slowly taken it's place so I'm ok letting it go. 

If anybody has any advice on how to ease the pain of switching, antivirus software, things to watch out for, etc. it would be much appreciated. Also, does anybody remap their control key to a different position? I'm afraid I'm going to be terribly slow with key commands using the position of the control key as opposed to the apple/cmnd key!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to db2012_02

CS6 is still new so there are as many results... so go to both sites below and view the results

CS6 Benchmark http://ppbm6.com/

CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

There are no results in PPBM6 because the test is not yet ready. Plus, no one can submit any results on the PPBM6 site yet for the very same reason: That benchmark is not yet fully functional.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to RjL190365

OK... I thought I saw a message saying the CS6 benchmark was at least "partly" operational

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Jon and Randall

There are (today) 7 results with PPBM5.5 run on CS6.  In general they are similar  to CS5.5 results.  All the very many new  features have not impacted scores very much.  When you open the PPBM5 results, click on the "Version" tab and select CS6.  I guess I will have to run and submit results on my editing machine (i7-980X) that can be compared to the CS5.5 scores.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Thanks, Bill, but I posted on the PPBM6 itself, not PPBM5 run on CS6. However, I did run PPBM5 on the CS6 in my main i7-2600K system: For some reason the MPEG-2 DVD encoding times were significantly slower (with the CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz) than with CS5.5 -- 112 seconds versus 70 seconds. Worse, the 70 second result I had with CS5.5 is now a fluke: The MPEG-2 DVD time increased by more than 65 percent (to 116 seconds) when I dropped the CPU clock speed by only 20 percent (from 4.4GHz to 3.5GHz). This means that there may be caching going on in CS5.5 with regards to MPEG-2 encoding.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to db2012_02

Tell Me I'm Not Crazy!

You are not crazy (any more).  You were 17 years ago, but sanity has finally overcome.  Smile, and be happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to db2012_02

@DB2012 it might be helpful to find out which Mac you are switching from and what if any of the software you have now?  If it is a 2010 MacPro, i'd say get yourself a copy of win 7, an nvidia card and another harddrive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to db2012_02

I use both platforms, Mac and PC, and don't find any real differance in the user interface. I mean once you are working in your program it's the same program. Getting used to the Control key wasn't hard at all, so the differeances are minor. I like the way the files list in Mac but that's also minor to me and always have to click on the list view. However, my PC build has been rock solid. It has only crashed once in PrPro and I simply upgraded the defrag utility, application, so you go about solving issues the same way. It's also nice knowing what updates and upgrades are on the horizon. No secret upgrades and announcements or being completely in the dark not knowing if or when your hardware would be upgraded. Of course with the PC there is a lot more options. Don't skimp out on your components. Coming from a Mac point of view where you are paying a lot for good gear, go ahead and get a kick *** case, power supply, etc. I put my first one together in one night. I didn't get the most expensive RAM, (you know what RAM works, maybe you want the best) but spent an extra $150 on the case and extra $75 on the powersupply, and everything else wasn't the most expensive but best bang for the buck approach. It's nice having that opttion to fine tune and select exactly what you want for your budget as opposed to Apple's marketing stratigy to sell you up, where the sweet spot is not really available beween the limited selection. 

Before I upgraded to Norton, the free Windows security kept my machine virus free for about a year. I thought Norton would find something but it didn't.

Shadow Protect is the best back up software. I've had a complete drive falier, where I had to remove the entire drive and put a new one in, and was back up in 30 minutes.

I use Perfect Disk and CCleaner. You can find lots of good info here at this site.

The only real issue I've had is when working on the same project and other editors are in FCP. However if they are willing to work in Premiere or AE it's a snap to transfer projects at the right time. Although a lot of people are still using FCP and Macs.

The advange is you will be able to use both, although you might only be able to afford one platform and might be the odd man out as the Mac people I've experienced are only know Macs and cling to FCP like a dying family pet. 

Performace and value PC wins hands down for me. The only reason people are staying with Macs is they have a lot invested in plug ins.  I like Macs but the options are too restrictive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 5:19 AM   in reply to db2012_02

NIce build. Looks like you nailed it. Good timing too. I've been using the Rampage 3 Formula, g skills ram, and 6 core 980 for a year, overcloced, and it's been flawless. All of the software I loaded and the only freeze I had was some ten months later and I upgraded to Perfect Disk to defrag. That one project was really unorganize file sources as well. When it comes time to upgrade you will appreciate the full tower with lots of room and gold powersupply. I got the 1200 but that's really overkill because I don't use over 400wats. YOu have a lot of good options going forward.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Islanders66

Your not crazy, cause Im not crazy! 

After 4 years with a great Mac Pro I am taking delivery of a HP Z820 within the week. I look forward to more power and speed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Lucky you.

Please keep us posted on your experience with this beast of a machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to RDA972

Will do!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers